Rear tire on front tire

Beefhart

Beefhart
Reaction score
I am currently building an 1981 650 bobber, a while ago friend gave me a 16" 130//90 dunlop harley davidson tire.
I assumed it was a rear tire until I went to have it mounted and the shop wouldn't do it because it's actually a FRONT TIRE. This is my first bike and don't have any expertise in the matter, but my friend who is helping me with the build seems to think that it doesn't matter but I have heard alot of things that tell me otherwise., any advise or experience would be helpful, Thanks

I would mount it and run but that's just me, the rear of your bobber 650 will probably see no more abuse than the front of a bagger Harley. IMHO. If you are building a bobber you probably aren't a letter of the rules kinda guy anyways. You color outside the lines, doncha? LOL But in the end it's your neck and only you can decide. I would be more worried about how OLD that tire is.

I have a rear tire on the front of my Road Star. If it is a Dunlop D402 HD front, mount it with the rotation reversed, and it should be perfectly fine. Reverse rotation is for tread block loading. Many do not do it. I always have. Just info, but I would not sweat using that tire on the back one bit.

yeah it's a D402 not sure if the rotation is reversed or not though.
I appreciate the advise fellas.
I think I 'll go ahead and mount it

I take it its a radial tyre? Of these im not sure, but if its a bias tyre, the direction arrow (if it has one) is there for the bond of the plys. A true rear tyre for example, run the way the arrow says will best combat accelera tive forces. Fit that tyre to the front, with the arrow reversed and it will best combat braking forces. Some tyres are marked with 2 arrows for front or rear fitment. I would say, if you must run it, at least run it with the arrow going the wrong way :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Back