Stainless steel engine bolt kit on Ebay. Worth buying?

Hmmm - I'm not sure if that is your best deal.
Your not getting much of the top end hardware you really need. You are mostly getting the side cover fasteners and a few of the lesser top end stuff. Plus if you read carefully his pictures are not what you will actually receive. " The picture above is of a similar kit".
Also he states " We also offer our Show Polishing. We remove all stamps and marks and polish the heads to a mirror finish. Let us know if you want this service at the time of ordering and we can price this for you". What this means is unless you are willing to pay extra $$ you are going to get standard stainless hardware that has been buffed a bit.

I just recently purchased this kit for the side cases plus some extra hardware he throws in.. He accepted my offer of $14.25.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0321772924&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
These bolts came polished as advertised but polishing stainless is very easy to do.
Note that these bolts also have size markings on the head which is what you would get if you ordered the standard kit you were considering without the "Show Polishing" you pay extra for. (BTW - Also easy to remove these markings on your own if you want)

I would wait until you can find a better top end kit that has all the hardware you will need. Take a look at MikesXS kit as an example, His are chrome but a good example of the kind of kit you need in stainless. He also has the side cover kit but it is also in chrome. http://www.mikesxs.net/products-48.html#products

There are vendors out there who have better kits. They show up on eBay and other places often enough so if you have the time I would do a little more research.
This is just my .02. Maybe someone else has some better advice.

BTW - You want allen head bolts. Once you have used them you won't go back. They look better, are much easier to torque, and they don't get buggered up like hex head.
The socket head bolts you mentioned are the ones you use sockets or common wrenches on. These are not usually replaced by allen head bolts in these kits. You would get replacement socket heads in stainless. Allen heads usually replace the hex head that you use a hex (X type) screwdriver on.

Thanks for that link Jim, I'll save that and keep looking for vendors. There has to be one out there that does a complete bolt kit for these engines in all stainless steel... As for Mike's bolt kits, I've heard that its pretty crap chrome. To quote someone one here, "Better get out the rubber sockets to not bust the chrome." lol

Ironriot,
I have bought 2 sets of Stainless Steel allen head bolt kits from a seller on ebay named kenosha_kid (Feedback Score Of 1789) located in Germany.
He sells a engine kit and what is called a front end kit.
I have also bought 3 Stainless Steel brake caliper pistons from him.
I highly recommend him, his stuff is second to none,and priced right.
His name is Frank,he is a great guy,speaks great english and even if he doesen't what your looking for listed,doesen't mean he doesen't have it, so contact him.
Also Ironriot,once you go allen head bolts,you'll never go back!
Skip

Try this guy: stainlesscycle on Ebay..... got a very nice kit from him for a reasonable cost and shipping cost.........84 pieces seems fairly complete to me.

Skip, kenosha_kid's prices are pretty damn good for coming all the way from germany. He doesn't have anything up on ebay right now in the ways of xs650's but I sent him a message on ebay. Hopefully he replies. If not I'll go with stainlesscycle. But that still leaves me without the Acorns....

I buy in bulk from BoltDepot.com and make my own. You don't need every length, they are easily sawn to length. I sand off any marks on the tops and then buff the heads-sweet. :)

Stainless fasteners can be addictive, though. :D

There's several similar sources.

John

I buy in bulk from BoltDepot.com and make my own. You don't need every length, they are easily sawn to length. I sand off any marks on the tops and then buff the heads-sweet. :)

Stainless fasteners can be addictive, though. :D

There's several similar sources.

John

Yeah I've heard that a more then a few times on here :laugh: what do you like using to polish stainless up? I've heard white rogue(sp?) works great

Ironriot,
Frank is a great guy,he will reply to you and is knowedgeable on the XS650.
I remember when I rebuilt my 3 brake calipers,Mikes did not have any caliper pistons and I remembered Frank sold them,but the same thing,as now,he had none listed.
I emailed him and he was more than happy to sell me 3 and they were stainless as Mikes were cast,and they were cheaper than Mikes.
Awesome seller!

Stainless steel buffing compound. Bolt heads etc are easy. I use a little belt sander w/220 grit and a small sewn wheel in the drill press. I have all the stuff for aluminum and a proper buffer, but you don't need it for the bolts/screws/nuts-almost anything will do it. You can get the Dico brand compound at a lot of stores like Home Depot, even Harbor Freight.

John

Back