'81 motor wont fire but turns over - any help in Eastern NC?

wildbill

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working on a basket-case build... probably not the best idea as a first effort, but if you're gonna go swimmin', might as well jump in the deep end.

I have the motor out now as the frame just got hardtailed (after a l o n g wait from Elswick). But before I pulled everything apart, the engine wouldn't fire but did kick over.

Question 1.) Is there anyone good around Greenville NC / Eastern NC that would be willing to help?
or
2.) where would be the best place to start troubleshooting?

I'm real tempted to buy a new wiring harness since the current / original one has lots of hand-done electrical tape wrap all over. Any reason not to?

I'll be posting some pix to chronicle the build in a bit ... Thanks!

Welcome to the community wildbill. I don't know exactly how mechanically inclined you are but the first place to start would be checking the basics. Check for compression, fuel and spark. You can check compression using the kicker (if you have the motor secure) and a compression tester and not have to worry about having power to the ignition or starter. You can check to make sure you are getting fuel using a basic DIY IV type fuel supply (20oz bottle and some fittings and hose) and the carbs mounted to the engine of course. You can then hook just the bare essentials for electrical to the motor (kill switch and wiring for the ignition) using one of the simplified wiring diagrams available around here. If you are missing any of these look in the tech section for troubleshooting guides.

Hi wildbill,
Start with the basics of cam chain adjustment, valve adjustment and
compression test.
Then check your battery, brushes, rotor and stator.
Now clean the carbs and check float level along with a cursory glances at the bits and pieces to note sizing and condition.
Sooo much could have been added and subtracted it is hard to say what you have.

Last edited:
Good stuff y'all - thanks

I'm not a mechanic or electrician by trade but I do pick things up pretty quick... and I did pick up a compression tool the other day. I will start there. I heard they should be within 10% of each other an anything over 90 lbs should be ok for not having been run in a while.

I'm working on a basket-case build... probably not the best idea as a first effort, but if you're gonna go swimmin', might as well jump in the deep end.

I have the motor out now as the frame just got hardtailed (after a l o n g wait from Elswick). But before I pulled everything apart, the engine wouldn't fire but did kick over.

Question 1.) Is there anyone good around Greenville NC / Eastern NC that would be willing to help?
or
2.) where would be the best place to start troubleshooting?

I'm real tempted to buy a new wiring harness since the current / original one has lots of hand-done electrical tape wrap all over. Any reason not to?

I'll be posting some pix to chronicle the build in a bit ... Thanks!

I am about 3hours each way, but might be able to swing by this weekend.

I am about 3hours each way, but might be able to swing by this weekend.
Thanks for the offer alfredo! I'm gonna try some of the above and see where I get. If I don't make any good progress, I'll give ya a hollar.

Also, if compression is too bad, I might give Hugh (HughsHandBuilt) a hollar back too!

What part of Eastern, NC? I'm near Little Washington/Chocowinity. Glad to see I'm not totally alone in my endeavor LOL.
Hey - I'm just up the Tar River in Greenville. I just posted some pix of my basket case. I'd be interested to see your project. P.M. some time and maybe we can exchange parts & stories.

Hey - I'm just up the Tar River in Greenville. I just posted some pix of my basket case. I'd be interested to see your project. P.M. some time and maybe we can exchange parts & stories.

That would be cool but there isn't much to see with my bike yet. My build is on hold for the holidays plus I'm still working on getting the title (the lady is still looking for it but swears she has it LOL). I got this thing for $25 and it was/is in sad shape. It's in pieces right now until I make up my mind on what and how far I want to go with the overhaul.
I'm pretty busy through the end of the month but I'd like to take a look at your project when the dust settles from the holiday festivities.

Who did you get to weld up your hardtail?

I know a retired TRW machinist that has opened up his own workshop ... He's not exclusively a motorcycle guy but he is very thorough and I felt good about him doing the work. He is in Winterville - I can give you his name / number if you'd like.

Bogie, it might be easier for the lady to get a replacement from the DMV than find the old one.
Leo

That is the next step. She said she has one more place to look. I gave her the vin # so if she can't find it, a replacement request will be submitted. Hopefully it all goes well but knowing the DMV there will be a few potholes to go through LOL.

I saw that LowbrowCustoms.com had a free shipping sale so I went ahead and bought a new wiring harness (8-pin) and a few other things (Merry Christmas to me). Now, if I can just find the time to check the compression...

A very important tool to own is a can of starting fluid. A quick squirt in each carb then crank it. It should pop or try to start. I have got a motor to fire and rotate a but even without carbs doing this! If nothing at all then look into the spark system. Don't get too caught up on compression score at first. If you kick it over and it shows some resistance then carry on. If you can push the lick lever down by hand then you have something to look at. A lot of other influences can give you low or erractic readings, crank speed (weak batt) throttle positon, dirty valves and seats, sticky rings. I would try to get it started or want to start then dial in from there.

I know a retired TRW machinist that has opened up his own workshop ... He's not exclusively a motorcycle guy but he is very thorough and I felt good about him doing the work. He is in Winterville - I can give you his name / number if you'd like.

That may be the best thing you've found for your bike....aside from the bike itself, 'specially if he has low overhead and isn't looking at you as his mortgage payer.

That may be a bit low but the bike should run ok. After you run the bike a few 100 miles or sothe compression may improve.
If it won't run now I doubt the compression is the problem.
Do you have a repair manual? If so go through the basics.
Set cam chain tension.
Adjust valves.
Being an 81 it should have the Transister Controlled Ignition. So the timing should be ok.
Check for spark. If no spark the repair manual has trouble shooting procedeures in it.
Once you get spark then if the carbs are ok and good fuel it should run.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help get the carbs right.
Leo
If

Thanks Leo! I do have a manual and will be s l o w l y going thru it all during the winter months. I was looking thru the manual but didn't see what compression should be (ideal). What should it be?

Back