19x2.5" rear wheel in stock swinger? How wide is possible?

Scott87

Meh.
Reaction score
I finally finished getting the hub I want mounted, now I need to order a rim. I'd like to go with a 19x2.5 or even 19x2.75, but I'm worried it may rub the inside of the swinger where it narrows. I obviously don't want to buy a rim and spokes, lace it up, and then find out it won't fit.

Any thoughts?

The widest tire that will fit the stock swingarm without rubbing is a 130. 120 or 130 tires would be just fine on the 2.5" rim. But do your tire selection first--unless you're buying competition flat track tires, there's not a wide selection of 19" rears available. I don't know what you're setting your bike up to do, but fat tires slow the steering, so if you're setting up for sporty street riding, a 2.15 rim with 110 or 120 tire will deliver better performance.

I doubt your rims would hit the swing arm. About the widest 18 inch tire you can use is a 120, and then in only some brands. So with a 19 I think a 110 is about it.

Find out the overall diameter of your tires of choice divide by two and run a tape from the center of the axle mount that distance and then measure the distance width of the swing arm. Make sure the chain is strung out as that my limit your tire width more than the swinger. Go to Bridgestone or Dunlop for the tire dimeters and width. You can also check with Omar's on what tire he recommends for the 19 inch rear conversion.

I think you're right, Leo, 120 may be the limit with a 19" rim, and you may need to add a link or half link to the chain to move the wheel back some. 120 is about the upper limit for proper fitment on a 2.15" rim, lower limit for 2.5". Bear in mind that the Omar's conversion uses a 1.85" rim; installing a 120 tire on that causes the tire to push out fatter due to pinching at the bead. The same tire will behave differently on a rim that's right for it.

Back