Ground clearance??

Fro-

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to order a 4"stretch hardtail. How much ground clearance would you guys go with? I want it to sit low but not so low that I can't ride around a curve without draging. Bike will also be raked to 35degrees and using stock forks for now. Thank You

I think people go with between 3" and 5" of clearance. Whether you scrape or not depends a lot of what you have hanging of the sides like exhaust, sidestand, and pegs.

how will you manipulate the ground clearance, given a hardtail? pegs and pipes and kickstand will vary, affecting cornering (leaned over) clearance but distance from dead bottom of frame or engine bottom to pavement...not much control there. You could run a higher side profile rear tire to raise it. But otherwise?

how will you manipulate the ground clearance, given a hardtail? ...

If he is building his own or having it made just for him he can specify the amount of clearance he wants. with a pre welded kit you are limited.

Posted via Mobile

I spoke with someone from Elswick Cycles (Going to buy the hardtail from them)today about ground clearance and was told that 4 1/2" - 5" is a good number. I measured how much ground clearance I have now and its's 6.25" without me on it.
This is running a Firestone 5.00-16 on the rear and a Firestone 4.00-19. Speaking of clearance this is how much the rear tire has between it and the swingarm (see pic). I don't think it gets any wider than that with the stock swingarm.
Front
DSCF0170-1.jpg

Rear
DSCF0167.jpg

Last edited:
I have'nt had any probs yet, but its close. If the chain was to get to loose it might make contact but I keep it adjusted. And I ride it often.

Back