hidden cables in handlebars?

jackass dave

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
as a newbie here starting on my first build , im going to ask a lot of questions , so be patient with me !
i would like to hide the throttle cable and clutch cable inside the handle bars ,in at the top and out at the bottom , my question is could you use an ordinary set of handle bars and drill,two holes in them (2 each side) do you think drilling the holes would weaken the bars, how do the pros hide the cables unless they drill them .
any experiance or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Most just leave them out, hide the wiring yes, cables no.
For the clutch the tight bends to get through the bars will cause you trouble.
Some of the builders on tv use a foot clutch and hand shift to clean up the left side. They use an internal throttle to hide the cable on that side.

- inverted lever - clutch, brake ?-cable operated mastercyclinder ? drum ?
Grip.jpg

INVERTED20LEVER.jpg

- from a chang jiang CJ750, cheap but not the best quality
005.jpg

- internal throttle

Honestly they make allot of internal throttle and clutch setups for 1" bars. I would switch to 1 inch bars.

Kool inverted levers!!!

I run 1" apes with internal throttle, no front brake and behind the leg horizontal jockey shift with the clutch controls mounted directly to it. Absolutely nothing on the bars but my grips...that is until I added some mirrors.

To answer your question..one small hole at bottom of apes, internals fit in end of bars.

I have 17" roland sands z bar style apes and i was wondering if i could run an internal throttle in them? Any advice would be appreciated

bones48...I don't see why not. Just gonna be a bitch feeding them around the corners.

And hopefully the sheathing won't bind the cable on those shrt turns. If you want to know for sure...take an old cable and try to get it though and see if it will still slide in the sheath. then you'll know whether to spend the money......

Back