any reason this tank wont fit a 1972 xs ? Mikes xs steel tank

1972Xs2

FNG
Reaction score
hey guys just bought a bike and im sending the tank out to get cleaned, was looking for a temporary tank to run for the time being. this tank is listed for 74 and up.... any reason for this? length wise ? im new to these so im not to sure of the differences etc. any input would be great ! thanks - Brett

64-7700.jpg

Steel Fuel Tank
Steel Fuel Tank - 3.9US gallon (15 litre) " Standard" type
Includes chrome gas cap. Tank is painted Black with Gold stripes
(No Yamaha Name) and is patterned after the original 1977D model.

Does not include petcocks.
Fits: Any 1974-84 XS/TX650.
Part #64-7700$263.00 $119.00 USD Ea

It will be a little shorter but should work. Why new for a temp? Used tanks are a dime a dozen. there are probably 20 special tanks on fleabay everyday. Post a wanted over in the classies, see what shows up. Early tanks? No so much.

I think the 70-73 tanks are longer,or is it shorter, anyway the later tanks the distance from the rubber front mounts to the hole where the tank goes down over the peg on the frame is if I recall is an inch or an inch and a half difference.
Does any one hav a 70 to 73 tank and can measure from the center of the front rubber to the center of the rear mount hole.
On my 75 and 82 tanks they measure 19 3/4 inches.
Leo

A special tank will fit a 70 frame it's a little shorter, you need to use the early rubbers and it sits very close to the cinch bolt on the upper triple so full lock could scrape or dent the tank.

Back