Just Rebuilt engine, couple of problemos

pablohoney

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I rebuilt the engine because it had low compression and I finally got it back together and running. I replaced the cam chain, rings, gaskets/seals and clutch plates. Couple of things though. It starts up pretty fast, but it only seems to be running on the left cylinder. I pulled the right plug lead and no change in rpms, and when I pull the left side it dies completely. I used a timing light and both sides are firing. But when I rev it up and pull the right side lead it coughs. Also both plugs are fouled. There is also a pinging in the top end. Your thoughts? Thanks

pablohoney
not sure what year XS you have but if its a TCI or Pamco one DO NOT pull a plug cap off one cylinder because you are very likely to damage the coil. Use a spare spark plug and make sure its firmly grounded to the engine.
Sounds like might be carbs but you have to work your way through these problems logically or you get nowhere, don't second guess anything, eliminate & then move on to the next potential cause.
Plent to read here to get you started.
Plenty on here to help if you give enough information
Cheers Kev

Thanks for the link, great info. And thanks for the advise, I won't pull the lead off again. It is a 79 special, points.

Are you sure that your spark plugs and your coils are ok ? Maybe you can try with new plugs first. If you're saying that when you pull the lead for the right side, it changes nothing, maybe the problem is there.

Fist off swap leads and if the problem follows then it is electrical, trace back and check coils and condensers. if the problem doesn't follow the leads then check and clean carburetor.

Have you replaced the old coils

The plugs are sparking good, That adjuster screw in between the carbs was holding the right side butterfly closed and the left side open which is why it was only running on one cylinder, at idle. I took it around the block and it felt great, I will ride it more in the morning and then check the plugs. Thanks.

The plugs are sparking good, That adjuster screw in between the carbs was holding the right side butterfly closed and the left side open which is why it was only running on one cylinder, at idle. I took it around the block and it felt great, I will ride it more in the morning and then check the plugs. Thanks.

Keep us informed. Hope you find the problem.

Fist off swap leads and if the problem follows then it is electrical, trace back and check coils and condensers. if the problem doesn't follow the leads then check and clean carburetor.

Have you replaced the old coils

He can't swap the leads - he's running points.

I pulled out the carbs today, float needle is totally worn down. I just ordered a couple of rebuild kits, i'll check the coils to, replace if need be. Thanks for the help, guys.

Back