Valve Adjustment - Quick Question

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When adjusting the valves on my '83 Special, is it critical to get the timing mark at exactly top dead center or is it ok to be off by a couple widths of the timing mark? Here's what I'm doing and it's driving me nuts:
1. Remove both spark plugs.
2. Remove the stator cover.
3. Remove the tappet covers.
4. While watching the intake valve on one side I sloooooooowly rotate the engine with a ratchet.
5. Just before TDC the engine rotates quickly just past TDC (that is the part that kills me). The end result is the timing mark being just a couple millimeters past TDC.
6. Perform valve adjustment and then do it again on the other side.

It takes me several (if not a dozen) attempts to hit TDC exactly perfect. Am I splitting hairs or is it close enough? Just curious about this.

Thanks.

it's not critical, you are on the base circle of the cam. Use a wrench and go back a few degrees if you have to. An offset box wrench works good for this.

Last edited:
A breaker bar instead of the rachet works too. and yes the pressure from the other valves is what makes the engine turn too far.

I always suggest setting it so the correct gauge goes and the next size up does not. Then, once you set that valve, rotate the engine back around and re-check that valve. I found it is usually off. Exhaust opens-piston going up, intake opens-piston going down, when piston comes back, (both valves closed/compression stroke) that's TDC.

Back