Shop Safety - Fire extinguishers, safety glasses, hearing protection, etc.

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Fire Extinguisher -

The most important tool you can have in your shop, garage, basement, or where ever you work on your bike is a fire extinguisher (or two). It's also the first tool you should get and the last one you hope you have to use. I think a good 10lb ABC type extinguisher is the minimum for a home garage. Shops will have requirements based on local fire codes. Don't waste your time or money with those tiny "kitchen/garage"extinguishers from Wal-mart. If you ever have to use one, you'll know why. Good extinguishers can be had for just about twice what those cheap ones cost and are 10 times better. They can be bought online from places like http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?model=S-9874 or on ebay. I have one in my kitchen and another in the garage. Make sure you keep it somewhere extremely accessible. You don't want it buried under a bunch of junk in the corner when you really need it. Most come with a hook to hang it on a wall, use it.

extinguisher.jpg

Safety glasses -

Everyone knows you need these when grinding and cutting. You also want to use them whenever you are prying on anything or spraying chemicals like carb or brake cleaner. Ask me how I know. Get a few of them so when you need them, a pair is always close by.

Hearing protection –

Plenty of people never use it, but I'm not one of them. Buy a box of ear plugs online for about $20 and you'll have 200 pairs that will last a long time. That's only 10 cents a pair so they are very disposable. Use them when grinding and cutting and you'll thank yourself later. I use Howard Leight Max NRR 33 for most uses and Howard Leight Max NRR 30 for all day use. I like the non-corded ones.

leightmax.jpg
leightmaxlite.jpg

Welding -

This one is easy, a good mask and gloves at the minimum. Other levels of skin protection depend on how much you are welding and how much you like sparks and welder burn from the UV rays. Don't forget about ventilation.

Electrical –

Electrical hazards include electrical overload, shock, and fire. They are pretty self explanatory. Use your head and don't electrocute yourself or burn your shop down.

electrocuted.jpg

Vapors/Fumes -

There are plenty of things you do or use in a shop that will require "proper ventilation"such as painting, using chemical strippers or pretty much any chemical, exhaust fumes, welding, shop heaters, etc. If you're painting with a sprayer, use a respirator! For everything else, use your head. If you start to get a headache, your eyes burn or itch, or you feel nauseated, recognize the signs and get out of your shop or garage and get some fresh air and let the shop air out. Many times people won't recognize the signs because they think their headache or other symptom is from stress and working hard to get a job done or to meet a deadline.

That's it for now. I'm sure I missed a few things so if anyone has anything to add or expand on, please do!

Nice addition with the First Aid Kit! Why didn't I think of that? Probably because I don't have one.

Second Aid Kit? I don't get it. :confused:

second aid kit...coffee-for all those oh oh, ah ah and wtf moments...esp if it comes, as above, with a good spanking...

haha.. Now we're talking about drinking beer (and possibly getting drunk) while working in the shop, in a shop safety thread!

i know its wrong but we have a fully stocked bar in the shop will post some picts of it and some homemade tools later on this evening keep it safe

It's not wrong if you hang out in the shop. Just don't want to get wasted then start cutting and welding. You gotta do it the other way around, get all your work done, then get wasted and stare at shit and BS about ways to make things cooler.

Now if this guys only had a fire extinguisher nearby instead of a video camera.....

He probably didn't like what he had come up with and wanted to start over anyway.. :laugh:

- doesnt look like a phoenix either...shame...whats it like getting insurance for these?

dont forget to 'smack' the bottom of your abc ext about every 6 months or so with a mallet. The powder inside will settle, and all you'll get is the pressure.

A good garage would have carbon dioxide abc extingusher over dry chemical one. Dont have to tear engine down after spraying out a carburator fire. Dry chemical well i wouldnt want to run a engine i like after that.

A good w/shop would have the right gear for the job........Foam for fuel. water for general, dry chem for any fire (works the best in my experience), and CO2 for electrical fires (only to be used with plenty of ventilation) CO2 in a confined area can be a fatal move, humans don't run to well on that shit!

But if you've only got 1, for mine it's a dry chem!

Also the best place to store a extinguisher & a first aid kit is in your car if there's room. If your home, usually your car would be too! Plus it's with you all those other times!

I try to keep the frequency of my garage fires to a minimum so I'm more concerned with saving the house than I am of saving what started the fire. ABC dry chem is what I have.

Back