Piston Ring Groove width...?

Sundie

Jabroni
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm trying to find the stock piston ring groove width for a 447 engine. Reason being, i'm getting some TotalSeal rings for it, and they don't have the specs on file.

I don't have the pistons in my possession as of yet, else i'd just measure them myself.

If anyone has a ring kit that they could measure, that would be fantastic as well.

Or, if this question has been asked before, just link me to where the info is.

Cheers!

- 1st 1.2mm 0.047in wear limit 1.25mm 0.05in
- 2nd 1.5mm 0.059in wear limit 1.55mm 0.06in
- 3rd 2.8mm 0.110in wear limit 2.85mm 0.112in
- from XSB manual - 447 motor

So, based on those values, their kit X0464 would work.

But it's for a 4 cylinder (Geo 1.6L, 89-96).

Happily enough, they told me they'd send me a pair for $84.16 plus shipping. W00t. :D

Thanks for your help!

Good to confirm - those are the same (part interchangeable) ones from TotalSeal.

In case anyone's wondering why i'm so hot on TotalSeal - they're gapless. Thus, your blowby is practically zero. From their own marketing info:

http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.aspx#trGaplessPistRings

" Conventional style rings when newly installed will show leak down figures of 7% or higher these figures can quickly exceed 20% or higher after a surprisingly short period of time. Gapless® rings on the other hand when newly installed typically show leak down figures of 2% and lower and should remain the same throughout the life of the engine."

Normally, i wouldn't buy into marketing spiel, but i've run them in my VW 2.0 16v. I had to put a diesel starter in when the engine was warm to be able to turn it over. (which was a bit of the fault of a decked 1.8 16V head, admittedly) Compression tests after about 10k (which doesn't sound like a lot until you realize i track the car) showed perfect consistency across the board, and right up at the top of the range of where it was supposed to be.

Yes, they're about 3x as much as a regular MikesXS ring set ($84.16), but worth it IMHO.

Back