Fire at TDC?

Eckl

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
May sound stupid... do these engines fire at TDC? :shrug:

I did a banshee swap and don't have a reference point other than TDC to set my timing... :er:

I think Punkskalar in his swap tutorial tells how to get the timing marks back after the swap.

They fire between 13° and 15° BTDC when the timing is retarded and at 40° BTDC when fully advanced.

Since you have tdc, you ought to be able to make a mark on the case with a protractor and straightedge at 14° btdc to set the timing at idle.

Actually, I screwed up a little here. Idle timing is 13°-17° BTDC. 10°-15° BTDC was the early spec for the XS1 and 1B.

I had a car that the timing marks were broken off of. I just timed it by how it ran :)

It only takes a couple minutes to mark the pointer on the rotor. In the time it takes you to hunt down a key and modify it you could have marked and remarked the rotor 50 times. This alternator is so reliable that you will likely never need to remove the rotor again for as long as you own the bike. You certainly won't be removing it often enough to make the effort of fabricating a key worthwhile.

LOL, before reading your how to I fabbed a key. Guess I am extra good to go!

Thanks to 5Twins and Mr.Riggs for the info!!

Back