What have you done to your XS today?

Nice looking ride, Gene. Electrics tucked under the seat? Do you miss the top engine mounts at all?

I have the electronics where my starter is. I'll eventually go with a PMA to rid myself of the battery.

As far as the top mount, I don't notice any difference. Given the type of bike and position of the bars, my riding style is not a spirited one at all. Usually the bike is just for riding around the neighborhood and to work, in which I will only see speeds up to 60mph. It doesn't vibrate any worse then when the bike was completely stock.

Thanks Ippytatoo to to all the guys that have supported me!!!!!!!!!!

Well I pushed the bike outside and I decided to kick the engine over a few time before I went before a start. I was on the right side when I kicked her over, on the last kick the kickstand poped up and while I was holding on for dear life the bike slowly fell over on it's left side. One tiny scrach on the hand grip and one on the end of the foot rest, no other damage. Fuel came rushing out the carbs so i tyook off the filters and washed then out with soap and water.
So here is the video of what happened next.

Thanks Guys, I adjusted the cam chain, retorqued the head bolts after the engine cooled.
Then I went to set the timing and I haven't been able to get the engine to start again. Not even a burp. It would be nice if it had a starter.

edit
Just checked the fuse and it is blown a first for that.
I have to leave for a while to take care of business hope I can get back before dark

Last edited:
Well done Carbon!:thumbsup: Glad it was just a fuse,wonder what happened there?
Looked like she had some good compression!:D My kickstand did the same thing.I got used to it,but when I switched bikes it came back and got me!Lucky for me the new bike just dies when you leave the stand down!:laugh::doh:
Get back after it man!:bike:

Thanks John. I made a big rookie mistake and got the hot lead caught between the upper motormount and the frame and when I tightened it up it cut into the coating and grounded it out.:doh:
I just got through with the fix I'll go for a start tomorow evening.

Carbon that motor sounds good. Those pipes were barking like a ferocious dog. The high compression and kick start might be cool at bike night but the E-start is shure is nice. I need 220 CCA and down the road knees look like soccer balls from kicking. If your Harley mechanic didn't remove the shaft you can put the starter back in and kick on special occasions. :D Just fucking with you but once those rings seat in. :shrug: A ride video in the future. :thumbsup:

Hey Scabber, I think this engine is a bit louder than the last engine. May a bit deeper in tone. I didn't think to ask about the Estarter until the engine was on the way. :doh:
I have a bad right knee from a dirt bike misshap in my 30s. So there will be times that kicking this engine will be a problem.

Hey Scabber, I think this engine is a bit louder than the last engine. May a bit deeper in tone. I didn't think to ask about the Estarter until the engine was on the way. :doh:
I have a bad right knee from a dirt bike misshap in my 30s. So there will be times that kicking this engine will be a problem.

I think you'll be all right with the PAMCO if you keep it well in tune. Takes very few RPMs to get it going. With some practice, you can do it with your left leg.

Congrats on the progress.

this evening I went to time the engine the timing is advanced to much and I turn the timing plate all the way to the left. never could get the mark back to the fire mark.
I guess I need to check the mark at TDC again.
I was going to ride around the block put it into first and it died and i couldn't get it to start again. And It kick back on me a couple times a jacked up my leg had to quit.
:banghead::banghead::banghead: Sure wish I had my money back I would go a different way for sure. I can't see this working out for me

Hey Carbon! Yeah, kickback can be a beach. It's gotta be something simple, like slippage of gadgets on the advancer rod, and/or slippage of the rotor...

I've had the thing apart this summer (I was out of town most of the time anyway) working on installing new exhaust. When I took off the stock pipes I realized how dirty the engine was, and one thing led to another...and I still haven't gotten it back together. Today I was trying to track down a replacement for the allen head bolt that secures the damper rod in the forks. The old one is stripped, and would you believe not a single hardware store or bike shop in town has it? I found one at a dealer 80 miles away, but when I tried to order it their system wouldn't take my credit card.

But even when progress is almost invisible, it still feels good to work on the ol' girl.

Lastest on my 79 special build. Added larosa seat, but I am exchanging it for smaller bobber seat. Fender shows a little brown stone paint as a test for a rust patina look.Forward controls to come.

Attachments

• 20140917_161924[1].jpg
    20140917_161924[1].jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20140917_161909[1].jpg
    20140917_161909[1].jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 127
Hey Carbon! Yeah, kickback can be a beach. It's gotta be something simple, like slippage of gadgets on the advancer rod, and/or slippage of the rotor...

Not sure what is going on I just put left cylinder on TDC and my mark is on the money.
This evening I will do some investigation.
I never throttled up to see if it advances.

Damn Carbon, that sucks:( My knee's popping just thinkin' about it!
This morning I'm a little lame,
Next time I will just put on my knee brace.
Getting old can be fun :laugh:
All I know I got to get a darn ride in or bullets are flyin:wtf:

You like the wiring? ha ha. Just temp to get it on the road for September. I'll be adding some new electronics and a blade fuse box this winter. Then I'll do it properly. Love those butt connectors!

Finally got off my fat ass and pulled the twisted crank 79 engine tonight, it's half out of the frame and ready for the replacement 5K original miles engine to go in. Gotta get some engine supports so the swap (lifting) doesn't tweak my old back then put it all back together. Will spend a bit of quality time cleaning and touching up the frame rails. Longest thing to do will probably be swapping the points and pamco. The Slimey Crud Run is coming up soon and I want to ride this.

This is an almost "completely stock" bike, and start to engine resting on the rail took about 2 hours.

79xsfall.JPG

I cheated on the pic that is from 2 years ago! Our trees are just starting to turn, Maples and Sumoc brightening so far.

Also two years ago with the paint it usually wears.

79xsfall16.JPG

Back