Advise on a 72 ignition/ charging system

thrashin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My main goal here is to build a batterie free, electric ignition, charge holding xs650.

I've been reading on the board about several different styles and type of electronic ignitions, reg./rec/, stators, coils, etc. I'm looking for advice on a complete overhaul. Starting with an ignition. Pamco or Boyer or?? Also seen several ways to build reg/rec from napa and radio shack parts. Banshee stator?

Anyone want to lay this topic to rest and give me a solid
"I build and used this and it works great"?

This is going into a bobber, so not alot of accessories. I'd like to figure this out on a budget and have it small enough to stuff into fake oil tank contraption thingy mabob.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link. Already read through it earlier. Sounds like a good plan. How about the ignition, cap or battery?

the pamco is the choice of many lately, great product by a guy who stands behind his work.

I run a Mikes XS ultimate Pamco, and a banshee flywheeled permanant magnet alternator using Hughes adapter. I used a small camera or rc car battery from the local battery store. Attached is a pic of my battery/electrical tray in the mockup stage. The rectifier is mounted under the tray.

Attachments

• My XS Tracker.jpg
    My XS Tracker.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 95
^ looking good and clean. Is there any difference in the banshee set up if you're wanting to go battery free or do you think the small camcorder batts are better

I wanted the battery to be able to test lights, etc before a ride....nothin like gettin yanked over for a minor thing wrong ya didnt know about. Also is enough to use the headlight if ya need it for a few minutes with engine not running. Only diff in setup is use the capacitor instead of a battery. Should start within a few kicks every time.

I used a solid state one from another motorcycle application. Hugh sells one similar. I think mine was from a sr500 yamaha. It is a 6 wire unit. His is a simple 5 wire. I am not sure on the other one...it is cheap though, in comparison with the stock regulator/rectifier.

Last edited:
Yep,

Go with Pamcopetes ignition, use all your stock advance unit and such. Permanent Magnet swap is super nice. I like the battery over the capacitors. You get about 10 minutes of power to the headlights and such when the engine isn't running, which is nice. I should just start including the batteries in my kit :thumbsup:

If you have any questions, these guys one this board are super knowledgable, or you can ask me at any time.

Hugh

where can I get your kit? What's all included?

edit,
and which pamco are you guys using? I guess I'll have to get the early one for my 72, but is the high voltage coil and the yellow wires better? There are like 4 different selections on mikesxs. I don't really mind picking up a new advance and what not, but I just don't want to get something I won't use all of the performance out of. I could throw that cash else where
Not looking to build a street racer just want reliability. Should I just get the 89.99 kit and start there? cause my coils look shot too, cracked

Last edited:
i would avoid the high voltage coil. I have found for a stock motor the regular coil is more than adequate. mine started arcing through the boot bad.

www.yamahaxs650.com Is Pamcopete's ignition web site. He has done testing on several coil/spark plug options. Reading the info on his site may help you decide what you need.

Back