need more information about steering stem diameter

xschop

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this and recently bought a 1972 xs650 and I'm planning to get a Harley narrow glide front end and I was curious if the narrow glides 1" steering stem would fit my steering stem which I am not even sure if my stem is a 7/8 or a 1" stem...any help and the more information I can get the better and would be greatly appreciated...and how realistic is it for me to install this front end on my xs? I'm pretty knowledgeable with motorcycles well more or less...so please help a newbie :bike:

Upper bearing is 25 x 48 x 13 and lower is 30 x 48 x 15. Therefore stem diameter is 25mm at the top and steps up to 30mm at the bottom.

If you check bearing manufacturers sites they will list bearings with the same o.d and depth as the Yameringha ones but with different i.d.'s.
I don't know if there are any available that will match the HD stem.

Even if they do you aren't out of the woods as you would need to check the stem length. In particular where the threads that the locknuts on the top bearing are in relation to the bearing.

So in other words it's not just a simple matter of swapping bearings and the like for a narrow glide? What year narrow glide would be best ? So do I have a 1" stem?

So in other words it's not just a simple matter of swapping bearings and the like for a narrow glide? What year narrow glide would be best ? So do I have a 1" stem?

Hi xschop,
like Max sez, your XS650 steering stem takes a 25mm internal diameter bearing at the top and a 30mm internal diameter bearing at the bottom.
Gawd knows what diameters a narrow-glide stem has but most likely they'll be in inches.
Whatcha gotta do is measure the narrow glide stem and look in the bearing catalogs for races that'll fit the XS650 frame's bearing cups and the narrow glide's steering stem.
Betcha there ain't any.
Next is to find races that fit the XS650's frame cups and are too big to fit the narrow glide's steering stem.
Betcha the stock XS650 bearings will do that.
Now go find a bro with lathe and ask him to turn up aluminum spacers and adapter sleeves to adapt the bearings onto the stem.

Wow sounds very daunting now that I'm getting more info...but I've seen it done and I love how clean it looks...I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve this myself..I'm surprised there isn't some sort if kit for this..I guess I'll be sticking to the stock trees for now...does anybody know what would cause my front end to feel a little bouncy..? Like when I hit bumps..even after I hit them my shocks keep bouncing after it ? Help...sorry to keep bugging..just figured with an updated front endfronm a narrow glide I won't have to worry about it anymore

Wow sounds very daunting now that I'm getting more info...but I've seen it done and I love how clean it looks...I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve this myself..I'm surprised there isn't some sort if kit for this..I guess I'll be sticking to the stock trees for now...does anybody know what would cause my front end to feel a little bouncy..? Like when I hit bumps..even after I hit them my shocks keep bouncing after it ? Help...sorry to keep bugging..just figured with an updated front endfronm a narrow glide I won't have to worry about it anymore

Hi xschop,
You mean you are keeping the stock Yamaha forks rather than swapping them for the forks off a narrow glide Harley?
Well, that's definitely a no cost, no effort decision, eh?
If your forks keep bouncing after you hit a bump most likely there's no oil in them.
Use the search button to see how to check the level and refill them.
Then look up how to change fork seals.
And brake pads, that's where fork oil leaks to.

Thanks fredintoon...The fork oil leaks out where the brake caliper is?
I do sometimes see some faint streaks on the inner fork tubes but nothing worth noting I have a leak but thanks for the help and advice...how easily can This all be done..I'm the type were you have to draw me a map haha

Thanks fredintoon...The fork oil leaks out where the brake caliper is?
I do sometimes see some faint streaks on the inner fork tubes but nothing worth noting I have a leak but thanks for the help and advice...how easily can This all be done..I'm the type were you have to draw me a map haha

With respect perhaps a workshop manual would be a wise investment?

I think you will find words and pictures more help than a map......

Yeah I already bought a clymers manual but was hoping for something a bit more updated :) and thanks for the links 650skull I'm gonna check them out when I get off work

To get an idea on what is required to do a fork swap then have a gander here. Whist it relates to R1 forks the issues you face are pretty generic.

I am in the process of fitting GSXR 1000 forks and will be using GSXR top and bottom yokes.

The main difference between the XS and GSXR stems is that the GSXR top and bottom bearing i.d. are the same as the XS bottom so a bottom bearing will fit in the top.
The other difference is that the GSXR stem needs to be some 12mm longer.
This will be achieved by inserting and welding an extension piece into the GSXR stem.

The point of the above is that anything is possible but some routes are a wee bit easier than others. It only seems complicated if you don't understand the principal behind the topic.

Don't give up and have a go! :thumbsup:

To fit a Harley fork to your 72 should not be to hard. Your 72 has a shorter stem than the 74 up XS's. Very close to the length of a Harley.
Buy a tapered bearing kit for your bike. Install the tapered races in your neck. Set the bearings on a shelf, you won't use them.
A Harley uses 1 inch bearings, the stem is 1 inch. These 1 inch bearings match up to the tapered races you just installed in your neck.
Use the Harley bearings one the Harley tree, install on your neck. There may be a bit of modding on the top nut.
This very thing has been discussed many times on here.
Searching for Mounting Harley Forks May find them.
Leo

I already bought the tapered bearing set from Mike's xs but it only came with the tapered bearings It didn't come with any races..where can I buy these races? And I've looked on here on the tech forum about how to install them but it's sorta confusing to be honest ?
Is there anybody who's seen on YouTube or anywhere where they have done a step by step process and thanks xsleo you've cleared it up a lot for me and thanks max midnight this is helping me a lot to encourage me to make this mod happen for my bike :)

The races can't be bought, they come in the kit. If you look in the kit there should be two bearings and two races. The races fit the frame, the bearings fit the stem.
Leo

Ok I just looked inside the little boxes the tapered bearings came in from Mike's xs and theres only those tapered bearings no races...where do you suggest for me to get the kit from? Sorry for asking to many questions but I decided to take the plunge and bought this front end and I don't want a paper weight haha...so this has to work now :)

Ok I just looked inside the little boxes the tapered bearings came in from Mike's xs and theres only those tapered bearings no races...where do you suggest for me to get the kit from? Sorry for asking to many questions but I decided to take the plunge and bought this front end and I don't want a paper weight haha...so this has to work now :)

Hi xschop,
you sure you know what to look for? The MikesXS tapered roller bearing set should have two inner roller races, they are the conical things that have a steel cage around the outside with a bunch of rollers trapped in it.
There should also be two outer races, they are shiny metal rings mebbe 3/8" long with a cylindrical outer diameter to fit the frame and a tapered inner diameter that fits the rollers.
A ring plus an inner roller assembly make a complete bearing.

Yeah that's exactly what I have the conical shape bearings that have a bunch of rollers trapped inside and that's it so it's safe to assume I ordered just the tapered bearings only?

Yeah that's exactly what I have the conical shape bearings that have a bunch of rollers trapped inside and that's it so it's safe to assume I ordered just the tapered bearings only?

Hi xschop,
so where did you get them that would sell you just the cones without the races?
MikesXS site clearly shows part#28-2009 as a complete package, 2 cones + 2 races, they won't sell you just half of the package.
When fork seals leak they let the oil get onto the outside surface of the fork tubes.
From there, in strict accordance with Murphy's law, the oil trickles down the fork slider to contaminate the brake pads which is where it will do the most damage.

Yeah that's exactly the same one I ordered...hmmmm..yea idk..I guess I'll have to call Mike's and say they forgot the races?
And I thought you meant earlier that the leak will leak from the brake pads..just miscomunication

Back