fiberglass tank

crash

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
we have a xs650 with a fiberglass or maybe plastic tank on it ,the problem we are having is if the bike sets more than acoulpe of weeks the gas seems to gel somewhat in the tank and gums the carbs up ,is this a reation with the gas and the stuff the tank is made of, if we start it up once a day no problems anyone have this happen before.thanks

Never had it happen to me but I heard about it. It's the ethanol that they put in the gas that does it. You're going to have to find a new tank or a source of gasoline without ethanol.

thanks will try and find another tank,i did nitice it alittle wet on the bottom thought it was just a seem leak but after reading that article now i think the gas is eating the tank again thanks mike

If you ever want to run a fiberglass tank again, I think some premium gasolines are advertised as not having ethanol. At least they are around here anyway. That might be a pain in the ass though always trying to find a gas station that has gas with no ethanol added every time you need to fill up. At least you don’t have to worry about it anymore with the steel tank. Now all you have to worry about is rust!

yeh but i would rather worry about rust then having to take the carbs off all the time for cleaning or riding and the tank spring a leak all over me

- the government here tells us there is insufficient ethanol in the fuel for it to be a problem...and they never lie

- when it's all we can get then we will just have to live with it...
- fibreglass tanks are ok if they are made from vinylester resin which is apparently fuel safe...
- plastic is another story...
- the only safe thing to do is drain the system if the bike is going to sit

we have a xs650 with a fiberglass or maybe plastic tank on it ,the problem we are having is if the bike sets more than acoulpe of weeks the gas seems to gel somewhat in the tank and gums the carbs up ,is this a reation with the gas and the stuff the tank is made of, if we start it up once a day no problems anyone have this happen before.thanks
I have a fiberglass tank on my Street Tracker. The ethanol in the gas is the problem. You can have your tank sealed . The Ethanol well leach the rosins in the glass in to your carb jets,valves and engine. I have been running leaded 100 octane race gas in my Street Tracker. Only cost $8 a gallon here in Texas :) The guy well only sell it 5 gallons at a time ,$40 for 5 gallons . I don't ride it a lot and buy the good gas.

Last edited:
you can seal your tank whit Tank-cure,
it;s a complete kit, decreaser and sealer,
decrease your tank, put in the tank-cure, shake for 20 min orso and let it sit for 2 or 3 days.
it als seals self welded tanks and stops little leaks. (or when there is some rust in the tank)

Thanks for the reply. I agree that works good for metal tanks. Por 15 is also very good for metal tanks. I got my tank from Omar 13 years ago when I built the Tracker. He is using a tank guard to reseal his fiberglass tanks with. I hate the crap that they are selling for gas. Ethanol also does not keep like the leaded gas did. It a real problem with boats that are not run for months at a time. The local boat shop here is covered up doing carb cleans.

Anyone old enough on the list to remember 260 Sunoco gas? Used it in my race bikes back in the day.

I am having trouble with one of Omars tanks now. Wanted money back but he insisted he could fix it with his "new coating". Its now been to him 3 times and today again I had blue gasoline when I drained the tank. White milky substance setting at bottom of container I drained gas into. Hmm, wonder what that could be? Also sticky slides in the carbs. I had to pay shipping each time. My advise would be to avoid those tanks. Either he don't coat them properly or I just got a lemon. No more fiberglass tanks for me. At this point I'm just hoping no engine damage. Robert is the new guy there and he don't seem to want to make it right either.
Jtc

Last edited:
Around my area.. a lot of gas stations have premium gas that is ethanol free.. Regular and mid grade have 10% ethanol though. I feel bad you guys in states with 10% ethanol laws for all grades of gas.

Around my area.. a lot of gas stations have premium gas that is ethanol free.. Regular and mid grade have 10% ethanol though. I feel bad you guys in states with 10% ethanol laws for all grades of gas.

That would be us poor saps in CO. :(

Back