Cost of a motor rebuilt

It was nothing major, bike ran well, but when he tightened down the valve covers he stripped one of the bolts out of the head, nothing a heli coil can't fix. He also put a few scratches on my polished covers. I've also had problems with the head bolts coming loose and causing leaks. I also believe that he didn't look at the cam chain guides and I have found little bits of them in the oil. Hmmm, I see another tear down in my future.
My biggest problem was that I added 36ml carbs from 650motorcycles.com that and they just aren't jetted as well as the site claims. But that's something for another thread.

I lucked into finding a retired machinist to do the spec work- jugs bored, valves done. Very affordable. I'm the breakdown and put together guy.
You can always ask a small engine repair shop ( lawnmowers, chainsaw etc).

40 bucks for the bore, 40 bucks for the valve job - guides and seating. I purchased the parts. An idiot can tear these engines down and replace parts, how do I know? HA!!!
If you know any car mechanics that ride, ask 'em who does their bike work. If they work on their own you might get lucky. IF somebody else works on their rides you can be dam sure it's gonna be right.

thanks for the help guys, i think im just going to do my best to do all i can by myself and see if i can just bumble through it other then the obvious like honing and the like. i already have the top off and now i need to get the cam chain off so i can see what it really looks like inside. thanks again :)

oh and i wish Thomas Racing was closer because i think it would cost less to fly them out to me with their tools then to ship my motor all the way out there!!!! lol ;)

thanks for the help guys, i think im just going to do my best to do all i can by myself and see if i can just bumble through it other then the obvious like honing and the like.

oh and i wish Thomas Racing was closer because i think it would cost less to fly them out to me with their tools then to ship my motor all the way out there!!!! lol ;)

:thumbsup: I agree with rusty on this one... I will wait and see after the season is over, who knows, maybe this will be a great father/son bonding experience....

Getting the cam chain off: pop the bearings off the cam, and remove the tensioner, and you'll be able to wiggle the cam out without breaking the chain.

Rust,just do it your self,it's one of the easiest motors to work,you have all your answers to tech questions over at the 650 garage,it"s really not that hard.Put it this way if you don't wanna work on a bike maybe you should look into selling it and buying something newer.By the time you pay a mechanic and buy parts your gonna have the most expensive xs on the planet.

xstwin, i was definitly planning on doing it myself, the question was more for if i got into a bind and had something i couldnt do myself, or maybe just have someone look it over every so often as i go so i dont screw the pooch and end up messin up something too bad. i definitly want to do as much as i can myself so i can really know it inside and out. actaully when i wrote the question i already had the top off :) actaully it would be nice to just have someone look at everything and tell me what needs to be replaced etc. im super new to this motor work thing so we will see. thanks for the encouragement. "i think i can, i think i can!" :D and thanks for the 650 garage suggestion, hopefully i can get most of what i need there. oh and i do want to work on my own bike you should check out my build thread and see what im workin with :) i also have an '89 softail, so i do have a slightly newer bike ;)

Last edited:
It just took me two months to rebuild my engine. But then again I dicked around with porting it and tore it all the way down to install mike's overdrive 5th gear. I could have probably done it in a week or two if I'd hustled every night. The only special tool you'd need would be the alternator puller...I just left mine be. Splitting those stuck cases for the first time was a really scary thing as well. I'd let the machine shop handle the valve job.

I found this on the XS650 Club of Australia web site, it is an article on Mikuni VM36 Jetting:

I am in the process of adding a few extra ponies to my XS 650C, kit, carbs, head, cam and pipe. Getting info on "correct" VM36 jetting for a kitted engine took a little time....but here is what I managed to get from Halco (UK) and the States (Bob Bertaut). It might limit the amount of trial and error....though some members may well have all this baseline info at their fingertips. The HALCO pre-jetting is on the richer side and the Bertaut is leaner. Both specifications fitted with free-flowing filters (K&N or Unifilters). I'll will keep you posted on the final jetting for my bike.

HALCO (UK)
Carb: VM36
Main jet: 220
Pilot jet: 25
Spray tube(needle jet) 159-Q-2
Needle type: 6DH3
Slide: 2.5
Air jet: 2.00

BOB BERTAUT (VM36 CARB KIT)
Carb: VM36
Main jet: 190
Pilot jet: 22.5
Spray tube(needle jet) 159-P6
Needle type: 6DP1
Slide: 2.5
Air jet: None, removed.

Heh. I called them that a couple of times (used to do quite a few Amal carbs) and people looked at me so oddly.

i still use "split pin".

Could the jetting differences be because of the different "spay tube", needle and air jet?

I got almose $5,000 into my motor. Between the big bore kit, Branson ingnition, deloroto Carbs, new Cam Shaft and all the other little shit.... just me it all adds up fast LOL. It your going to keep the bike for a very long time, it's very worth it

Frankie...I agree 100% with what your saying. Why spend 14 to 16 Thousand dollars on a new bike, that will still cost you plenty of up keep, when you can invest 5,000 dollars, and have a classic bike that will turn heads, and be the topic of conversations.

I see so many posts saying that more than a couple of grand is too much to invest in these older bikes, but with updated electronic ignition and new everything in the engine, a fresh coat of paint on the frame, tank, and side covers, and you practically have a new bike....for way less than you would ever spend just walking into a Honda Sports retailer....and the fun factor on these bikes is more than a lot of the newer bikes, which by the way have gone to digital tachometer and speedometer (YUCK!).

Keep me in the old school bikes any day of the week...good riding! David T.

Back