It's me, finally got an '83

Fusion

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been lurking about, but figured I'd announce myself here--

Picked me up a super-rough-around-the-edges '83 XS650 to start wrenching on. First "project" bike ever for me.

Got a few issues - it was a bit concerning whether I could get it back home across town, but made it! Took a page out of the harley book and marked its territory too.... lol

welcome! Tell us a bit more about you and your new (to you) ride. Plans for it and it's present issues. Pics always welcome..
Again. welcome to our little space on the broadband..

Thanks! Well about me more, I'm a software engineer for over 20 years. Owned a few bikes, 4 before this one - but never felt comfortable working on them. I feel mechanically inclined, but wanted something stylish, affordable and easy to work on.

After botching up a simple relay job on a 2007 Triumph I owned with a resulting $500 repair bill, I realized I needed to start with something not filled with specialty parts and high-ticket items. Not to mention, I love the look of older bikes (who doesn't.. come on!)

Pretty much all signs pointed to the XS650. Such a great looking machine and everything seems so accessible on it.

I found one on CL for $2500 here in Los Angeles. It's an '83 Special and has a laundry list of problems and is in very rough physical condition, so got it down to $1900 which for Los Angeles is a good price. Elsewhere, the bike shoulda been south of $1500.

It's got mild clutch slippage, misfires like a bastard from RPM 2000+ until it warms up (which sometimes it never does...), leaky forks and lots of other goofy stuff going on but I have to say it's an awesome little bike and I am looking forward to tearing it apart and putting it back together again.

I'm on the fence whether to go a mild chopper hardtail route with it (I got an old crusty special just cause I feel less guilty slicing it up) or do keep it the Cafe look it has now (looks pretty cool actually) - but my plan is to "simplify" it to make it a bike that I can repair anywhere and rely on. Remove the starter, probably a battery delete, probably yank the speedo/tach and signals, etc. primarily in the name of simplicity more than looks, although the looks are a nice bonus :)

I'll get some more pics up shortly, for now I've only got the one in my avatar

..welcome to our little space on the broadband..

And, here's our "Broad Band".
BROAD_BAND_1914.jpg

...I'm a software engineer for over 20 years...

Great! That'll come in handy while trudging thru this massive forum.

... Such a great looking machine...
I'm on the fence whether to go a
...mild chopper hardtail
... Cafe
... "simplify" it
...primarily in the name of simplicity more than looks...

Yes, this bike fits well in all the genre's, Stock, Custom, Tracker, Cafe, Brat, Bobber, Chopper.
Including the new and improved Brobber, Chap, Bracker, Trafe, and Choober...

... I'll get some more pics up shortly, for now I've only got the one in my avatar

That one looks like a great starter, quite nice.

Welcome to the zoo...

Yes, this bike fits well in all the genre's, Stock, Custom, Tracker, Cafe, Brat, Bobber, Chopper.
Including the new and improved Brobber, Chap, Bracker, Trafe, and Choober...

That one looks like a great starter, quite nice.

Welcome to the zoo...

I'm leaning towards the Chobber! Haha like this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvkldpoeb5ktkno/e3aa2c9a-a6b1-47ea-9906-72ea865c038e.jpg?dl=0

Not sure if my back/ass is up to that challenge though... not 20 anymore!

Alright, here's some pics for ya. I borrowed my ex's semipro cam for extra bokeh fun

Attachments

• IMG_7150.JPG
    IMG_7150.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7151.JPG
    IMG_7151.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7152.JPG
    IMG_7152.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7155.JPG
    IMG_7155.JPG