Can I use this regulator-rectifier

tdub78

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking at regulator/rectifiers to replace my stock piece - is this going to work?

I notice that its only got a pigtail of 5 wires (YYYRB) and the Mikes XS one has (YYYGORB) - so I assume it would just be wiring into my rectifier?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Regulator-Re...Accessories&hash=item20b6ba3c07#ht_1410wt_774

No such thing as a stupid question they say - but just trying to get my head around replacing parts and stepping into the dark deep hole that is vintage motorcycle electronics.

If you read the Ebay ad you will see it says "Not for Electromagnet Alternators", Thats what the XS650 has. As you read farther it say "For Permanent Magnet Alternators only".
It can be made to work but not the way it should.
Of those two options the Mike's is the better one. It is a straight up replace ment for the 80 up bikes. It can work on the older bikes if you rewire the brushes and do the three nylon screw mod.
Being from down under you may not have access to American car parts. Here on most Chrysler products, that includes Dodge trucks too. They used an alternator that functions the same way as the XS650 alternator. A feild excited, or electro magnet alternator. The used a soildstate regulator from early 70's up into the mid 80's. If you can get a regulator from a say 75 Dodge Dart it can wire into your bike and work very well. I have one on my 75. I got mine from the local parts store for $13, the price is upsince then, About $15 now. I don't know if any of the cars you build there ever used an alternator of that sort. If you know a few older mechanics they might be able to point you in the right direction.
I don't know how to do links but at the XS650 Garage they have sveral threads on how to and have pics and wiring diagrams to explain the how to. In electical under charging systems Thread titles are Solid state regulator $1499. And soilid state regulator $24.99 one is for theolder mechanical reg ulator and the other is for the later combo re/rec swap. You might want to read the thread rectifier replacement $6.58.
Heres a pic of the Dodge Dart regulator on my bike. The siver box with a green and brown wire hooked to it.

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65101064.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65101064.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 396
You might try asking at the XS650 club of Australia at www.xs650.org.au/
Good bunch of fellows there, they might know a few tricks to get your system charging.

Back