Top end tapping sound

What weight oil are you running? If you run the 40wt diesel stuff, the top end is going to make more noise.

I actually do have 20W-40 in there right now.. it's Castrol GTX (mechanic recommendation) and I've been wanting to put some 20W-50 in the past few days but I just cannot for the life of me get my big sump nut off.. I need to go find a friend with a long metal rod to put over my socket wrench for the torque.

I see a lot of people here running on Rotella 50W? Any suggestions?

You probably have 10W-40 in there now. I don't think Castrol makes a 20W-40. That would account for your additional top end noise. Switch to a 20W-50 of some sort and I think you'll cure the excess noise problem. Any brand is fine.

Due to the crude oil filtering system on these, changing the oil often is the best practice. Most of us go about 1000 miles between changes. Expensive synthetic or semi-synth is really of little benefit to these. You're dumping it before you can utilize the high change intervals it provides. As I said, any cheap dino 20W-50 will do. Personally, I use the Walmart brand.

FYI I didn't even KNOW I had a problem w/ rattle (THAT's how much of a newb I am lol) until I read this post. Turns out I was missing my damper washer. Put it in today and viola, no rattle. Thanks guys!

Dave

Mobil 1 20 W 50 V Twin for me. Heat will break down the non synthetic oil. Global warming. I have seen enough scored and scuffed 650 pistons to prove it to me. The pistons out of my bike looked like new and no skirt wear no scuffing. Cylinders no scors 19000 miles. Still had factory cross hatching. Made a believer out of me.I Have sat in over one hour long trafic jams temp over 90 degrees 10 feet stop For about 5miles. The bike never missed a beat idled fine no over heating. I saw alot of bikes being pushed that day Delmarva bike week. I love my bike too mutch to put cheap oil in it. It loves me back for it. :D

Back