TCI ignition problems....

Gtikyle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS650 with the TCI ignition system. My motor was worn and tired so I found another XS in the junkyard and bought the motor. It was a points style motor, so I pulled the points and swapped the TCI over to that motor. Now that I have everything buttoned up, all I'm getting is backfires when I'm trying to start the motor.

I need to verify something....I simply unbolded that "basket" deal that goes over the magnet under the left side engine cover from my old motor, and bolted it into the same spot on the "new" motor.....was there anything that I needed to line up or anything like that when I swapped it over to set the ignition timing or anything like that?

Motor has great compression, has good spark, and is puffing nicely while trying to turn over, just wont actually fire up and run....just backfires. I figure it's either the TCI somehow, or the float hieghts on the carbs (just rebuild during the swap) need to be adjusted....

any help guys?

Did you swap the rotor. TCI rotors have a magnet inbedded in them for the pick up. Points rotors dont have the magnet

yeah, I swapped the rotor.....I just dont know if I was supposed to have some kind of timing marks lined up when I swapped over the rotor or not....it is just one of the things I thought could be contributing to the starting problem of it not actually running. It has insane compression and good spark, so I dunno what's causing the problem.....gotta be timing or fuel

Problem is probably timing, you may not have had the left cylinder at TDC when you reinstalled the rotor. If you have the Clymer manual check out page 197.

that looks to be exactly what I need hmusket, THANK YOU!!

I'll check it out in the morning and see if I need to re-align the "t" mark

The rotor is keyed to the crank. It can only go on right if you get the key in right. If you left out the key or didn't get it in right, there is very little chance of getting it to start.
Leo

Back