Big az$ air compressor

swbill

Slacker garage shop
Reaction score
I have been looking for a new air compressor for a couple months. I want at least a 60 gallon but prefer bigger and really want horizontal for the space it's going in. I have been looking at Craigslist list everyday for a industrial compressor but can't find anything yet. My budget is around a grand.
Does anyone have one from one of the box stores that's worth a crap? I'm reluctant to buy one from like home depot, I don't want one crazy loud and that kicks on the second I grab a air tool.
I have a sand blaster,air tools and a air/hydro bender that all require good volume.
Any one have a suggestion on what I'm looking for.
Another question, anyone use that powdered air dryer harbor freight sells. It's like $299 but I've heard good things about.

swbill I can't help with your selection(mine are 30+yrs), but the volume problem can be addressed with a 100lb. propane tank(converted/replumbed). Garage sales, swap meets can get you one for $25-30.

Also check local Auctions http://www.auctionzip.com.
I was at an Estate Auction about a month ago (Between GR and Lansing), there was a whole host of big tools, including an Air Compressor that was about the size of a VW.

I've been to Production Tool Supply in Lansing, they have a nice selection in stock They have a GR Location http://www.pts-tools.com/

Tractor Supply Company sell Ingersoll-Rand, if you have one near you. They sometimes have sales, and they are good quality. I've used one for the last 7-8 years, and it gets a lot of use. Mines 80 gal 10.5 cfm I think. About as large as I've seen that's not two stage.

John

Found a Quincy 5hp 60gal. 15.9 cfm @175 psi. On sale at northern tool for $1299 and free shipping. Think I'm gonna bite.

Chevk tptools as they offer the same one for $1099, but you have to buy a $100 drop ship, with tailgate service, but it is still cheaper......

I have the QT5 and I love it. I actually have two, but long story short, the first one arrived damaged, so the trucking company had to replace it and they never came and picked it up.

After 6 months it was mine and I gave it away.

Chevk tptools as they offer the same one for $1099, but you have to buy a $100 drop ship, with tailgate service, but it is still cheaper......

I have the QT5 and I love it. I actually have two, but long story short, the first one arrived damaged, so the trucking company had to replace it and they never came and picked it up.

After 6 months it was mine and I gave it away.

Where do you see that? The only price I see for it there is $1499, was it on sale and not now?
http://www.tptools.com/p/2904,88_Quincy-Pro-and-Max-Series-Compressors.html

Just make sure you look at CFM more than tank size, as that's what really affects how well the compressor does what you need it to.

The Quincy will support a paint booth, Medium blast cabinet and about anything else for home use. It is supposed to be used for small shops.

I purchased a Craftsman 60 gal. 150 psi vertical about six years ago. A very poor performer due to the all aluminum pump with poor cooling. Everything else is fine, but it doesn't matter if the pump overheats and starts smoking before it hits the cut off pressure. I've kept it alive by managing the oil sump closely, and running an electric fan on top of the cylinder head, in addition to the belt driven fan. I should have notified Sears with a complaint early on but the unit didn't see much use the first year I had it, so the warranty ran out.

The bottom line is, I can't recommend any brand of compressor that doesn't have a cast iron pump, or at least cast iron liners. I'll bet an old XS motor would make a decent pump. Hummm???

-R

I have a Campbell Hausfield cast iron 1 1/2 horse. I bought it new in 1975 I think I might have changed the oil once or twice over the years, changed the pressure switch to one from a well pump. Welded the bottom of the tank when it rusted out about 10 years ago. Used to sandblast with it and a 2 horse tied together. It has a small block Chevy air cleaner on it. Sounds like a box of rocks but still going strong. I will spray texture the garage with it tomorrow. Not really relevant to this discussion.....

Here's another one that might work. $719 and free freight. Also, I see that Northern Tool has some really good deals on compressors. One of theirs is free shipping, too.

eaglec4160v1_500.jpg

-R

Last edited:
The big thing with the Quincy is it has a 50,000 hour motor. Most others including IR have a 5,000 hour motor. Plus Quincy has a 2 year warranty that extends to 5 years if you use there maintenance kit. I think it's worth the few hundred extra. Hopefully within a couple weeks I will be ordering one.

Back