Help: Removing Jet Needle

VCPatel

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am working on rebuilding BS38 carbs for a 79 Special II. Being very careful as I am not too keen on breaking any of the little bits in the carburetor assembly.

That being said, I'm not sure what the best way is to remove the jet needle. Every tutorial I see on carburetor rebuilding just states that the jet needle should be removed, or something to that effect. The Haynes manual only mentions they are "push-fit" [not sure what that means]. The closest thing I could find was this:

"In the BS38 the needle is retained in the slide by the clip, a plastic disc, and the slide spring." << That still isn't very specific about how to remove these things.

Can any one offer any more specific instructions? I would really the help.

Thanks

On the '78-'79 BS38s, the needle is retained in the slide using a snap ring. You need snap ring pliers or some real pointy needle nose to get it out. The best I've found for the job are the right angle snap ring pliers that MikesXS sells for use on the master cylinder. They work perfect on these slides.

78-79Slide.jpg

Thank you very much 5twins. Yes, this diagram was also posted in the other source I looked up, but it didn't have any mention of the need for snap ring pliers.

I appreciate the help. I'm happy I called it quits and got on here before I broke something. Very useful information-- thanks again.

Back