73 xs 650 rebuild questions

dipstick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Bright , Ontario, Canada... about ten cliks from K
Hey guys Ive got the bike home in the garage and man its a head scratcher. I think I need a starter point and Im not sure where that is. The fella I purchased from tells me it was running on one cylinder the only time he fired it last year. I started of by hooking up some loose wiring and giving her the once over. I did an ohm check and one coil does not read although the good ones wire spike was no where near as corroded as the other. Are coils one of those parts that either work or they dont work? Should I start from scratch and replace the rectifier, voltage regulator and both coils or can some of these parts be salvaged? The reason I ask is even with a new battery when I turn on the ignition no power. I also have a greenwhite and a brown wire loose and open on the handle bar and doesnt show it in the clymer, any ideas ? I also noticed that the model number on the head stock reads 650s only with no other designation as to what it is. Any help whith this stuff would be great. Cheers......Mike

- S650 is part of an engine nr rather than model nr, comes from XS1-TX650, including the early police models...the relevant models were 256, 306, 366...does this bike have e-start and disc brakes

- green-white cables were used in TX650s to power the stop warning light, fed from the lamp check unit...brown is earth

- coils are known to fail but often show intermittent failure evident when warmed

- rectifiers consist of diodes and are meant to pass current 1 way only-if they test positive in both directions theyre kaputt

- if original, the regulator will probably be mechanical, 3 wires green, black, brown ... open reg and do a visual test - points pitted, central breaker fused, broken wires-replace ... test with ohm meter, R1 scale, separate the connector, black to earth-0 ohms ... connect meter to green and brown, open the reg and make sure the top contact is closed-low rpm position...0 ohms

inxs ,yes the bike has a disk brake and I found the elec start under the tranny but I have no idea where the start switch is although I found a bluewhite wire attatched to the decompression lever so do I pull the lever to start? Bike also has a cap peak on the headlight. dont worry man Im rollin up the sleeves on this one...

- yes, theres a switch in the decomp lever that operates the starter solenoid

- you have either an XS2 or TX650, i dont think the XS2 had a stop warning light

Welcome dipstick, I have always wanted to say that :laugh:. Seriously you should go through the first 2 articles on the home page here at XS650.com to help with sorting out your bike and the probs that may/will arise. Must have been a long time since you had your XS2 cause they had the decompression levers as well, only came out on the 72XS2 and 73TX. Should be a 6 digit number after the S650 on the headstock starting from S650-200101 and on the front of the motor behind the front motor mount is the engine no, hopefully it will be the same as the frame no.

On the wiring diagrams i have for the TX they also don't have a GW wire but the 74 TXA does, going to the lamp checker as INXS has said. Get a continuity checker, you need to trace the GW wire to its source and find out what it's doing and do the whole loom.

The thing to remember is that nothing on the bike is what it should be until you have verified that it is

Hey skull man thanks for the info Im from Ontario Canada and have folks in Adalaide. yes the bikes a bit of a mess right now but the last time I was on one of this vintage was 30 years ago, and I remember pushing that bike more than I rode it but it sounded and felt fantastic when it did run. Its funny what you remember but when I sat on this one hell I was 19 again. The number after the 650s is 217773 and yes I found the same no. on the casing with a four digit pre-curser 8650 and the 217773 after . also found a transport no. cmvss-Canada-nsvac 867 found this on the upper down tube the number was in a maple leaf. Im going to put some pics up soon, thanks Mike

- it can only be a 73 TX US model #366, the non-US 73 TX models had engine nrs from 476-200*** and the TX-A had engine nrs from 447-000*** and no decomp lever

- XS2 had different wiring, i have a 73 TX wiring diagram showing the green white cable, as skull suggests, it would pay to go over the complete loom, checking for continuity breaks and cleaning all the connections as you go...cheap insurance

Back