Vertooch

Vertooch
Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Can someone offer some insight about putting a custom tank on a 650?

I would imagine that I have to use a 650 petcock. Or do I?

Do I need to run two petcocks, or is one with a T in the fuel line sufficient?

And then what's the most efficient way to do it? Close up the existing holes from the custom tank and drill out a new spot for the 650 petcock?

Thanks in advance for the help.

just about any motorcycle petcock you want to use will be fine, Pingel petcocks are also popular but you need to decide if you want a valve with a reserve postion or not, running a tee will work fine, where to mount it, lowest spot of the tank as possible half a tank of gas below the petcock draw tube won't do you a bit of good

Thanks jayel,
and thanks J ray for nodding in agreement.

Pingel petcocks look great, but are pricey. Are they worth the money or are the petcocks from MikesXS fine.

Any tricks to mounting on a non stock tank? Drilling and threading holes, tight fit and so on.

Thanks again

The stocks tanks have rubber between the contact points. The front is a peg and cup arrangement with the bolted back tab holding it in place.

Solid mount would be metal to metal, welded or bolted in place?

yes. Don't just bolt it, metal to metal. I used rubber grommetts that the bolt goes thru.
I also used 3/8 i.d. tubing, drilled thru back bone with the correct size of O.D. od tubing, slid the tubing thru the backbone, and welded it in, restoring the strength in those spots. dont just drill a hole thru the bone, shove a bolt thru there, a, cuz it will prolly destroy the back bone.

what to do with a tank?

Well first annex the Sudetenland, invade Czechoslovakia, sign a non-aggression pact with Russia, then next stop Poland

Mike's manual petcock's work just fine. But if you are going to use a tank other than the 650 one, the petcock's are made for the bolt spacing on the 650.
IMHO, a manual petcock has more advantage's over the vacuum type. First, you have a reserve position, and you can stop the flow at any time.:twocents:

Thanks guys,

I'm starting to get it. The Pingel petcock would seem to be much easier to mount since it's a one hole application.

Any Pingel will work? should I get wrapped up in the vacuum - non vacuum issue?

And thanks to jayel for the WWII recap.

the pingel would be a non vacuum type, the vacuum was a good idea for people to lazy or forgetful to shut off the fuel supply, since most bikes didn't use a fuel pump you ran the risk in a fuel leak situation of flooding the crankcase or a big puddle of gas around the bike if you don't shut off the fuel (gravity feed from above carbs) then the vacuum componets get old and the leak happens anyway, if you get a new valve either way, pingel or regular MC valve it's best to remember to shut the fuel valve off, just part of bikin' in my opinion

Thanks jayel. That was informative.

Just to clarify. Vacuum type petcocks aren't specific to the 650 fuel system operations? They were introduced to make a user friendly bike (AKA idiot proof).

1982 650 the petcock has 2pipes larger in front and a brassnipple exiting the back i only have 1 hose going to carbs whats the brass one about

Back