Custom skateboard brat seat

photojon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ive been slowly converting my bike to a similar clone of the Classified Moto XS650
I wanted the same style just with a few changes like a stock airbox, gauges. After picking up and adding set of 92 ZX7 forks the bike looked back heavy with a big seat. I like the cafe look but am not looking for that look on this bike. And a brat style seat best fit my riding position. Divided to create my own. I dont know how to work with metal, so metal seat pan was out of the question. How can i carve one out of wood that would be strong enough to support my weight (150lbs), and has to last a few years of constant use. A skateboard thats 8 7/8in wide fit the bill.
43f382c6.jpg

d22c721d.jpg

754b0db2.jpg

Then to test and visualize the fit. Plus had high density closed cell foam custom cut to fit with a half inch overhang.

6642b3dd.jpg

608a0cd6.jpg

Then went to a custom furniture building company. They deal with large orders for high-end couches, chairs. That means premium leather scraps that can be had for very cheap. Plus they have the tools and knowledge to do exactly what I need.

2 days later
f0dac39a.jpg

364254c2.jpg

ae8409e4.jpg

Now I have 4 pre-made holes that I can use for mounting.

Cost total: $185
$15 blank skateboard. Prostyle
$30 custom cut seat foam
$140 leather, stitching, and mounting to skateboard

Mounted pics coming soon.

To those who quessed that it is a Jawa.... Wrong

To those who guessed its a NSU...... Wrong

The correct answer is a 1963 Sears Allstate. Made by Puch
Its my mechanics favorite ride. Runs better than my XS. He rides it once a week or more. All original, its a twin just like the XS just has alot less vibration.

To those who quessed that it is a Jawa.... Wrong

To those who guessed its a NSU...... Wrong

The correct answer is a 1963 Sears Allstate. Made by Puch
Its my mechanics favorite ride. Runs better than my XS. He rides it once a week or more. All original, its a twin just like the XS just has alot less vibration.

Well show us some pictures of it too :-D

Posted via Mobile

Hi, your seat looks like it turned out great. I'm doing a similar deck seat build on my XS 400 and am wondering how you went about fashioning your seat to the frame? that seems to be my hang up right now... any advice would be great!
Thanks

Its not an easy swap from old seat to new seat. To get me on the bike and riding I made due with a 2 small L brackets and 2 zip ties to connect it to the frame. But as I went home the best way is attach a hinge to one side, then bolt it from underside of the seat using a modified L bracket. no pic right now. The bike is in the shop getting ready for x-country trip. will post them later

i did a very similar thing, buddy hooked it up with a deck from a local shop, another buddy works a dealership so i got car seat foam and some vinyl from the local fabric shop and here's my deck seat. not as fancy but dooable even for a no talent ass clown like myself.

Attachments

• seatparts.jpg
    seatparts.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 383
  • deckseat.jpg
    deckseat.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 418
i did a very similar thing, buddy hooked it up with a deck from a local shop, another buddy works a dealership so i got car seat foam and some vinyl from the local fabric shop and here's my deck seat. not as fancy but dooable even for a no talent ass clown like myself.
Would love to see that mounted and how you mount it. :thumbsup:

Back