Which brake pads...................

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
...........and where do I get 'em? 1979 Special, front and rear disc. Brembo, EBC? I've done a search and can't find an answer. Need new pads for the tracker, gotta hunch I can do better than Mike's XS replacement pads. So what's gonna work better than stock, and where can I get them? Just did a Google and not much help there. looking for better stoppage with the stock calipers.

'preciate it.

I have always heard good things about the EBC's, but I have never actually used them myself.

Call 3M at 650Central. He specializes in brakes. For years he recommended the Ferodo Platinum pads but now he has even better ones. Unfortunately, they're sintered or semi-metallic so they're hard on the rotors. He's a racer so he doesn't care about that but I do. I opted for the Ferodos. I'm more than satisfied with the stopping power of the stock pads. I'm hoping the Ferodos will be better when I get around to installing them. I'm quite sure I don't need the power of the sintered ones and the rotor replacement headaches every few years.

i have sintered bronze on my 03 marauder, and seem the same as the organic stock pads. Ide go back to stock next time.

one of the reasons I posted this is because a while back I ordered pads from Mike's XS (mostly because it was the cheapest way to get the hardware that is missing on my bike) and I'm wondering if these are any good.

I guess all you can do is try them. Much of Mike's stuff is O.E.M. quality but some items do fall short. I never bought replacements because I have a good supply of used originals. I will fall back on them if the Platinums don't give much improvement.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride the bike in it's stock configuration so I have no base to go on. both calipers are going to be rebuilt, new rear master (stock) and a smaller front master will be used. Guess I'll just put the stock one's on and see how it does. The only comparison I have is my Husky SM and I don't expect to have that kinda braking on the Yamaha.

The only comparison I have is my Husky SM and I don't expect to have that kinda braking on the Yamaha.

You know I just so happen to have a spare brembo goldline 65mm right side caliper off a
Ducati......:D

You know I just so happen to have a spare brembo goldline 65mm right side caliper off a
Ducati......:D

As tempting as that is as far as I know the only adapters made to fit that to the XS don't work on the alloy wheels, and I'm no fabricator.

I think you'll be surprised just how well the original stuff can be made to work. Just add a stainless line and maybe drill the rotor. Honestly, I'm not sure just how much drilling the rotor improves things but it certainly does look cool .....

OldDisc.jpg

The stock type brake pads that Mikexs sells have worked really well for me. Even with the old rubber brake lines they stopped great. I've changed over to the braided steel lines, just to increase reliability.

The stock type brake pads that Mikexs sells have worked really well for me. Even with the old rubber brake lines they stopped great. I've changed over to the braided steel lines, just to increase reliability.

Based on what I've read here and the fact that I've already got 'em I'm gonna give 'em a try. I'll do a report when I finally get on the road. Thanks to everyone for their input.

I wanted to bring this back after my ride last night in a thunderstorm. I have disk front and rear with OEM type pads, and when it came time to stop it just wasn't happening. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 40, and with both brakes applied it felt like it does when I apply light pressure on the rear.
So I'm wondering if it's just crappy pads. What pads work good in the rain? Or is it just hard to stop in the rain with all pads? Would drilling the rotors help with keeping water off of the rotors?
I'm not sure what to do about this, but I've got to do something as I have to ride in the rain a lot.

Yes, drill the discs. The pads hydroplane on the water. The holes give the water someplace to go.

I'm rolling the dice on MikesXS kevlar-carbon cheapies. I've had kevlar brakes before, they were pretty nice. We'll see if these measure up.

jchrisk1;

I was on a 5 day trip in July, and it rained on 3 of the days. It rained really hard on 2 of the days. My rotors are drilled and I have the stock type pads from Mikexs. I did not detect any degradation of braking during the rain, I am pleased to say.

When I got back from the trip, I took the brake calipers/pads apart and cleaned a great deal of dirt and sand. They really needed cleaning! The pads had some grooving from dirt caught between pad and rotor. I used 40 grit sand paper to remove the grooving and re-installed.

I find the stock type (semi-metallic) pads work reasonbly well, and they have saved me on a few panic stops. I can't find a cure for my rear brake squealing. I would like to find a pad or replacement caliper that gives more moduation control.

I have the ferodo platinum brake pads mikes floating rotor they work alot better than the emglo pads mikes sells. No squealing. On the back I use the slotted rotor that came off a Xs750 front brake it stops twice as good as the stock brakes. Bought from MMM 650 central:thumbsup:

I think I am going to drill the rotors. I don't have any trouble stopping in light rain, but that heavy rain was intense. I couldn't see hardly at all, and it was at night on a two lane highway. When I saw that I was coming into the turn I could barely slow down. The scary part was, if I didn't make that turn, I was going into the lake. The deep side. Somehow I managed, but I don't need surprises. Especially ones I can avoid.

Back