Registering a Bobber in NSW, Australia

SWOOP

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all, im a newbie to this site and also the xs650. I picked up an unfinished xs650 Bobber project, i want to finish it and sell it to kick start my bike building business which i am also new but have a passion for.
Now i know this is an international forum and will get a limited response from only aussie owners but i dont know where else to start.
I have xs650 bobber hardtail that is pretty much set up for how it should be but because i want to get the most money out of it im gonna have to get it engineered and all put all the safety stuff on it (turn signals, rear guard mounted number plate etc) so that it is road worthy. Has anyone in NSW, Australia tried to do this? The bike is currently registered but not like this. Any info or guidance to links etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20150728_151156.jpg
    20150728_151156.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 263
  • 20150728_151147.jpg
    20150728_151147.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 20150728_151206.jpg
    20150728_151206.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 278
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/inspections/#Modifiedandnon-standardvehicles-VSCCS

from the above link:
If you’ve made significant modifications to your vehicle, or you have a non-standard or personally imported vehicle, you’ll need to have it inspected by a licensed certifier under the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS).

Under the VSCCS, modified and non-standard vehicles are assessed to make sure they comply with legislated vehicle standards. Vehicles that comply with the standards and do not pose a safety risk are issued with a VSCCS Compliance Certificate. You’ll need to provide the Compliance Certificate before you can apply for NSW registration, or renew an existing registration.

Cheers TLCbobber. Ill get someone to come out and inspect it. Thanks for the help mate.

Don't expect to get someone to come out and inspect it. You will have to take it to them and it's likely to cost a small bundle of cash to get the paper work done.

This is from Queensland,
"there is a wide variety of Commonwealth and State standards that govern the safe construction and modification of vehicles" and states have different standards, applicable to them.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications.aspx
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications.aspx#specific.

The 650 Cub of Australia has a lot of local knowledge and some members have been through this process, it is founded in Sydney and now has members State and world wide

PDF, Important reading material

Attachments

• 9sectionLLmotorbikes1July2014.pdf
    298 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I spoke to an Engineer here in Sydney and he said whatever came out with the bike standard (mine being a 74 xs650) had to be on the bike to register it. WTF!? I want to customize it not register a bloody standard bike!

I posted some info and a link to the 650 club. Club members have done this before so for $30.00, ( Get a free T shirt as a new member), you will be able to access correct info from the ones who know. Lots of local knowledge as well.

nah your engineer friend is wrong... you could design and build something totally unique yourself, submit a report and have the vehicle inspected and approved for road use.

650skull probably posted the links I should have posted and quick scoping his links, particularly on engineering reports, reminded me of something I came across a few years ago. My VSCCS link probably wasn't enough for what you need but I'm not Australian lol.

From talking to a guy a few years ago who built a bobber in Australia, basic hardtail etc, you do have to detail how the bike was put together, changed, methods and materials, welding, tubes used, slugging and sleeving etc, you know real detail on what was done and how. A proper engineering report so the inspector knows what they're looking at.

You might need to account for things you haven't personally done so it might be a good idea to speak to the previous owner/builder and get some supporting data to help you out for accuracy's sake...

whether you design and build a vehicle from scratch or heavily modify an existing setup, i.e hardtail a previously suspended frame, you need to submit a written report detailing its construction, materials and methods as basic info and have it examined and approved for road use.

skull's link should point you the right way... but you can do it if the bike is deemed safe to run on public roads and it's well made with a suitable report. keep digging.

if you are serious about going into the chopper building business in Australia, these are the choices you have.

1; build a bike and oursource all the work except for some mechanical assembly that doesn't require any regulatory paper work...........very expensive and i doubt any money would be recuperated on a sale.

2; Do a welding course, get the appropriate tickets required to be able to weld structural frames, ( may require a trade certificate), build bikes and pay for any engineering regulatory paperwork. ...............Still expensive and may be able to recuperate the money spent building. Would need to be unique and something that would appeal to more than a few.

3; get all the degrees in engineering and get registered so you can do all of the work and be able to stamp the engineering paperwork your self..................Save a fortune and would be able to sell a bike and recuperate any money spent...................Would still need to have something a little different to attract those that can't do it.
This will take years and different states have different regulations so the chances are your tickets in NSW wouldn't qualify in another State, (research needed).

Not having a go at you, TLCbobber, but here is what i know. The best advice is to find out from you local gov't agency and/or from someone local who has actually done this.

nah your engineer friend is wrong... you could design and build something totally unique yourself, submit a report and have the vehicle inspected and approved for road use.
You can design it but in some States,(Maybe all),
Engineered plans are to be submitted before building starts to make sure the proper procedures are to be done. Usually the engineer is the one who also builds it.

From talking to a guy a few years ago who built a bobber in Australia, basic hardtail etc, you do have to detail how the bike was put together, changed, methods and materials, welding, tubes used, slugging and sleeving etc, you know real detail on what was done and how. A proper engineering report so the inspector knows what they're looking at.

This is basically true, the inspector is usually a registered engineer who would do the welding

You might need to account for things you haven't personally done so it might be a good idea to speak to the previous owner/builder and get some supporting data to help you out for accuracy's sake...

If you cant get the paperwork on the work done i don't think any engineer would touch it.

whether you design and build a vehicle from scratch or heavily modify an existing setup, i.e hardtail a previously suspended frame, you need to submit a written report detailing its construction, materials and methods as basic info and have it examined and approved for road use.

In some States, (maybe all), the written report is a detailed plan presented before building commences

skull's link should point you the right way... but you can do it if the bike is deemed safe to run on public roads and it's well made with a suitable report. keep digging.
A suitable report and proper paper work will mean it is well made.

If you plan on going into business, you will have to learn to do research yourself, deal with Gov't agencies and ask the right people. Business courses, mechanical courses, welding courses, ABN, just to name a few things required.

skull, also like in qld ,may cost 2/3/400 for a engineering report then you fix up defects/mistakes etc and costs 2/3/400 for another report with no garentees it will pass depending on who does the reports ,its definitely not like getting a roadworthy cert ,can be very $$$ unless you do your paperwork and research first or know somebody

Back