Powder Coating Wheels

DustyR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

in the market for new tires and thought that now would be as good as any time to go ahead and powder coat my wheels. has anyone else done this? I'd like to replace the bearings but unsure if they need to be pressed out or what the deal is with them. speaking of tires, does anyone have any suggestions? A local shop can do dunlop d404's for 65 front and 75 rear mounted and balanced if i bring the wheel. that sure beats the price of the pilot powers i put on my cbr last year. does anyone know anything on the dunlop d404's?

dusty

Lot of peopel like them. The price you quoted ain't bad. Others will chime in. I have Bridgestone Spitfire S11 on mine right now. I have run Kenda Challengers, nice tire , wear a bit quick on the rear. 5-6,000 miles, the front about 10,000.

timothy,

Glad to know you do lots of rims. any tips on coating them, I.E. replacing the bearing, etc. This will be the largest thing we've done.

are you doing the powder or taking it somewhere?
if your taking it, remove the bearings, if you are doing them yourself, leave the bearings in and protect them while media blasting and coating. its a pain, but cheaper and if your doing the work, you can protect them.

I'm not sure if that helped or not.

my buddy and i will be doing the powder coating. we've done other parts on my bike and he's done plenty of parts on his other bikes, but this will be the largest thing we've done. are the bearings difficult to remove? I'd like to just put new ones in while i'm in there.

dustin

Back