Universal throttle cable and housing

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
OK, so here's where I plead ignorance. I bought a NOS Barnett universal throttle assembly and the old kit looks great. I thought I'd be able to use a stock throttle cable, but pushing the stock cable up into the housing, there is no way to actually secure it. The other problem I have is that even with the adjuster turned all the way in, the throttle linkage on the carb does not quite fully return to closed. The ferrule on the stock cable fits the new assembly fine though. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I'm looking for in a universal throttle cable kit that I can put the ends onto? Also, does anyone know what the length of a stock throttle cable on a 1980 is? Thanks!

Kent

The stock cable is held with a clip and a screw can you drill and tap a hole in the new throttle to use the clip?

Pull the inner cable from the housing, carefully remove one of the ferrules from the housing. Now cut the housing off by about 1/2 inch. I like to use a cut off wheel on a dremmel. This cuts the housing square and flat. Reinstall the ferrule. Now put the inner back in and try it.

Last edited:
I'm having this exact issue now, too. Only the throttle housing I bought isn't a Barnett type per se, but a universal one with 2 holes so you could use it with a 2 cable system if need be. The holes are threaded, one bigger than the other. Was thinking I'd take the threaded piece to Home Depot and see if I could match up a fastener to thread into the lower, bigger, un-used hole. If so, then I could make some kind of retainer, similar to stock one, that could reach "up" to the smaller hole and hopefully hold the cable end flush to the housing.
It's a pain in the butt to have to do this.
The other thought I had was to call 650Central and see if MMM can hook me up with a cable/housing combo that will work together without having to re-invent the wheel.

I guess this comes with the territory though. If you're gonna have a "custom" bike, be ready to adapt adapt adapt.

Back