StCin's hardtail build thread. first bike, first build.

stcin7

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I figured I would start a build thread since I'm finally making some progress.
I bought this 1979 xs650 special about 3 months ago with 12,xxx miles for a cool 900 bucks. This is my first street bike and the first build project I've ever taken on. I'm 19 and I don't even have my motorcycle license yet, so this could be an interesting journey.

This is what the bike looked like when I bought it

I plan on going for the classic "bobber" feel with a mid stance and a "thin" look.
I hate calling it a "bobber" but I feel like that's what most people distinguish that style as.
I'll be using a tc bros hardtail.
I will also be putting a PMA kit and a pamco ignition on it very soon.

I bought an alien tank, mid pegs, and some other miscellaneous parts from monstercraftsman and a set of black drag bars from tc bros.

I also picked up some spoke wheels off ebay.
I only have a pic of the rear but i'll post a pic of the front when I get time.
They are coming apart to get powdercoated.

A few days ago I ordered my new rear fender, strut kit, battery box/electronics box, seat spring mounts,
neck gusset, drunk break anchor rod, and some other random stuff that I can't remember.
I'll be sure to post pics when the parts arrive.

Yesterday I started tearing down the bike so I can get it ready to send the frame to TC bros for the hardtail. This is the progress I have so far.

I look forward to progressing on this project and I'd appreciate any comment/ suggestions you guys might have.

-Alex

can we get a quick shot of the alien tank sitting on the backbone?

I'm trying to decide on a tank for my build.

looks good, keep it up.

can we get a quick shot of the alien tank sitting on the backbone?

I'm trying to decide on a tank for my build.

looks good, keep it up.

Went to take a pic and realized my cameras dead. Ill snap one tomorrow and put it up.

Also, If anyone wants to BUY ANYTHING from this bike there is a lot of parts I'm not gunna be using. This bike has been kept very well so the parts are in good condition. Just send me a message if you need anything.

Went to take a pic and realized my cameras dead. Ill snap one tomorrow and put it up.

awesome. thanks for your time. since you're accepting requests, do you mind shooting a few different angles? A profile pic and one from the rear would be greatly appreciated.

I can't decide between an alien or axed to finish out my build. Your photos will be my guiding light.

Thanks again.

awesome. thanks for your time. since you're accepting requests, do you mind shooting a few different angles? A profile pic and one from the rear would be greatly appreciated.

I can't decide between an alien or axed to finish out my build. Your photos will be my guiding light.

Thanks again.

Here are those pics you wanted man. If you need a different angle or something just let me know.

Got some new parts today from Monstercraftsman.

Fender and fender strut kit.

Electronics and battery box.

Speedo eliminator, tach eliminator, and rear brake anchor rod.

Biltwell diamond stitched seat, Biltwell seat pivot, and seat spring mounts.

And of corse stickers and condoms.

Looks like a good start !

Seems like there are an abundance of bikes up that way for sale. I am ALWAYS seeing them in the EAST, cant hardly find JACK here in TEXAS !!

I had to drive like 2 and a half hours away to get mine and it was really the only one in good condition I found. I havn't seen any for sale lately in my area at all.

I feel yah man. I drove 2 hours to Melissa tx in the midle of nowhere to get my 72. Full complete minus tank for 350. It was in a horse stable when I got it. It must have been sitting for awhile. It only has 13000 miles on it

Posted via Mobile

yeah mine was in a barn since the early nineties. People have a knack for leaving awesome things hidden away. Up the street from me there is an old lady with a cb 350 sitting against her garage that hasnt had new tags since 85. Only about 8000 miles on it. It's just sitting out in the weather getting fucked. I tried to buy it but her son came out and started bitching just as we were finishing the deal. I'm determined to get it it somehow. It would be the perfect cafe project

What's the speedo and tach remover for? I dont run them anyhow but never. Bought any parts to remove them.. Build looks good so far!

Back