HELP! 650 Bobber

DHagen

Duckman
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1978 650 special with the purpose of turning it into a bobber. 2questions at this time.

1. Can I turn the stock frame into a rigid by removing the shocks and adding struts? I want to lower the back of the bike as much as possible.

2. What's the tallest mini-apes I can use without having to get new cables?

thanks

1 yes (though not all that attractive IMHO)

2 not very tall I wouldn't imagine.

Before you do any chopping you need to find out what you want, some have put 10 1/2" shocks, that gets it pretty low & your spine still gets the benifit of suspension! So have a good look around here & the 650chopper site

Re the cables/brake lines, your current ones are probably close enough to 30 years old, so replacing them is probably a good idea, even if you keep the original bars, to change them anyway! :cheers:

I have 11" minis with stock cables. the throttle/clutch cable seems fine, but the upper front brake is a wee tight.

Picture029-vi.jpg

yes, you can make the bike look sick with low shocks, struts are uncomfortable and your kidneys and liver will hate you.

no source on picture, just random picture off my hd. i've seen a picture of an extended swingarm on a basically stock frame, looked super low and sexy, i'll look for it.

Attachments

• normal_xs650-2-06.jpg
    normal_xs650-2-06.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 317
this looks cool a stock XS stretched using all the stock parts as excesseries

Attachments

• LeviBundy3.jpg
    LeviBundy3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 271
  • LeviBundy2.jpg
    LeviBundy2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 302
  • LeviBundy1.jpg
    LeviBundy1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 313
Z bars put me in Hospital some 23 years ago
Wet road dim light 90 degree bend

Attachments

• NOZ.jpg
    NOZ.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 230
Per the pictures above: i just noticed: that's a weird intake setup he's got there....

I love how he's mounted the rear signals though.

Back