For Sale - wheels!!!

Bobber 12

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a set of factory mag wheels complete with disk brake calipers front and rear and rear master. Also a 16 inch spoke rear and a vader front blasted and ready to go vader not sure if its for a 650 or not but im sure with some spacers and the right bearings you can make anthing fit. $150 plus shipping gets all four let me know if im out of line or ya got some thing to trade could use a neck witn papers or other bobber parts to finish my other bike. Also have other stock part for sale as well.:bike:

Hello,

I'm interested in your mag wheels. I need a front wheel that'll fit with 34mm front forks (which I believe any XS650 wheel will, it's just the brake rotor that get's switched over (please correct me if I'm wrong)). I also need a rear wheel and the caliper that goes with it, as well as spacers, axle adjusters and master cylinder.

Can you provide a couple pictures of the mag wheels? Also, how much would you ask for just what I've listed? I don't have any need for the other things mentioned in your posting.

Best, Muckroot.

Untitled.png

Well... shoot. Thanks for the heads up Jim. Any input of the front rotor? Am I correct in assuming that ANY XS650 wheel will accept the correct diameter rotor to fit 34mm forks (and therefor the caliper that goes with said forks).
Sorry, I'm not well versed on the differences.

Well... shoot. Thanks for the heads up Jim. Any input of the front rotor? Am I correct in assuming that ANY XS650 wheel will accept the correct diameter rotor to fit 34mm forks (and therefor the caliper that goes with said forks).

Mag wheels on a 34mm XS650, 73-76 need the 73-76 rotor and caliper......Wheel swap's in and retain original 34mm fork rotor and caliper...............Front spacer and Speedo drive, (spacer), swap from Spoke wheels to mag wheels............Bolt straight in

Mag Rear wheel, 78-80;.......... these years are the Disk brake type...... They swap in but the spacer on the Disk rotor side is different to the Spoke drum spacer.......bracket that holds the rear caliper is a part spacer and is held on with the axle................need to measure for a spacer.

Mag Rear wheel, 81, (in the US and 81-84 in Canada), these years have a drum brake. This should fit straight in, the spoke wheel spacer on the drum side, should be the same as the mag wheel spacer............

Mag wheels on a 34mm XS650, 73-76 need the 73-76 rotor and caliper......Wheel swap's in and retain original 34mm fork rotor and caliper...............Front spacer and Speedo drive, (spacer), swap from Spoke wheels to mag wheels............Bolt straight in

Mag Rear wheel, 78-80;.......... these years are the Disk brake type...... They swap in but the spacer on the Disk rotor side is different to the Spoke drum spacer.......bracket that holds the rear caliper is a part spacer and is held on with the axle................need to measure for a spacer.

Mag Rear wheel, 81, (in the US and 81-84 in Canada), these years have a drum brake. This should fit straight in, the spoke wheel spacer on the drum side, should be the same as the mag wheel spacer............

Thanks for the info! I think you've indicated that I can use any set of XS650 wheels, regardless of year, as long as the front hub is disk, correct? I am building a hardtail and currently have only a tcbro's hard tail kit installed and a set of 34mm front forks with the fitting caliper installed. I have axles but no wheels. The wheels that came with the bike are suspect, as the front definitely doesn't go to an XS650, and the rear likely doesn't either. So I currently have no rear wheel hardware save for the axle, and only have the axle and caliper for the front. for the rear I don't have any spacers, brake mounting points on the frame, brake linkages, or even axle adjusters, so I feel my options for the rear are pretty wide open. but for the front I have to get a wheel that will accept the rotor that fits the caliper that goes with the 34mm forks. From what you're saying it seems like I should be able to get any ol' wheel that came off any ol' 73-81 XS650, as long as I bolt a 73-76 rotor to it that is the correct diameter for the caliper I have. Beyond that it seems like I'll end up going with whatever brake style rear wheel I can find for a decent price, and them buy the axle hardware to fit that style. so for drum I'd just need a couple spacers, axle adjustors, weld on the crossover pivot for the linkage, and weld a tab on for the stay bar to connect to. for disk, get a caliper, some spacers, the adjustors, weld on a mount for the master cylinder, fab up the linkage for that, plus a tab for the stay bar to bolt to.

Any advice on which brake style to tend towards for the rear wheel? I like the look of the drums, but considering the design is from 1975 are they still advisable to run in these modern times? would discs be worth the extra effort?

Last edited:
All information relates to stock Front end, frames and swing-arm.........Yes as you repeated on the front end................As for the rear, the hard-tail means all information i posted is mute..........hard-tails are wider than stock so it all becomes a shop/garage fit unless a hard-tail'e can give you information.......

On rear braking.......personally i don't like the rear to lock up. Once it has, you've you have lost control, (unless your gggGary), and the bike doesn't slow down as much once it has locked up.........its skidding, lost grip...........a drum rear set up properly is all that is needed..........I liked the idea i could stomp hard on my drum rear and it wouldn't lock-up

Thanks for the info! I think you've indicated that I can use any set of XS650 wheels, regardless of year, as long as the front hub is disk, correct? ......................... From what you're saying it seems like I should be able to get any ol' wheel that came off any ol' 73-81 XS650, as long as I bolt a 73-76 rotor to it that is the correct diameter for the caliper I have.

72 is out..........has a one year only front fork, front wheel/hub set up.........can't swap a wheel into the 72 forks or a 72 hub into the later 73-76 34mm forks or later 77-83 35mm forks

The short version is that the rear wheel needs to be from an XS650. Our bikes use a very small diameter sprocket, many other bikes have a sprocket mounting that will NOT let you fit the sprocket size you need. There are also problems with alignment between engine and wheel sprockets, again stay with an XS650 rear wheel to avoid yet another rat hole of customizing things to fit. gggGary, who has dived into more than one snake pit of mix and match parts fitting.

Back