Should i replace this rectifier? Looks like crap..

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
Well my builds almost done and now im tackling wiring like everyone else. This rectifier is the only thing really that looks like its been riden hard and put away wet. Just looking for advice on what i should do. Replace or keep? and if i replace .. what rectifier should i go with ect. The bike ran when i did the tear down.. it wasnt perfect by any means but i could get it around the block and stuff. If it matters its from a 77'. I really dont know if its bad or not ect .. but it looks like hell.

img00176201006102116.jpg

img00174201006102116.jpg

Thanks folks,

Luke

I checked out that second link.. seems like a good idea Ill probably build one like that. My other question is, though all of the xs rectifiers dont look the same through the years are they interchangable? im guessing if so there are some plug/wiring differences possibly?

Anyone here used the method from the second link and built their own rectifier? Id love to see some more pictures if possible. Im thinking about going down that avenue.

Luke

I personally haven't done it yet. There are plenty of people who have and I hear it works well. Continue to read through the post in the both links. I don't know what the condition of your regulator is but I plan on doing both when I do it. Both of mine are over 30 years old and I'd say it's not a matter of if more of when. If I want it to be reliable it will have to be done. :bike:
http://650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9740&highlight=rectifier
http://650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9391&highlight=rectifier

what? you dont like my rectifier? when im done i can put it in a baggy and send it to you .. im sure it would look good over the mantel or something. haha

There are a few more pics on that link. A lot of people have done this mod. It's a winner. I have the parts, I'm just not far enough into my build to worry about that yet. You can try it and if you have any questions, you might want to pm Pete about it.

Also, a big thank you to Pete for sharing his knowledge!

EDIT: Yeah, what pumps said...

I don't have any pics of my Radio Shack rectifier. I will say it was easy to build and it works great. I have done the Chrysler regulator mod also. It works great to.
I used to have a less than reliable charging system. Some days it just couldn't keep up with my 55/65 watt headlight.
Even after cleaning the switches and adjusting the mechanical regulator. Some times the starter wouldn't start the engine.
I added Pamcopete's mods, reg/rec, kill switch relay, and ignition. Now the starter starts the bike great.

I have done both the Radio Shack rectifier mod and the solid state regulator mod from Pamco Pete. They work very well. I run a Pamco ignition and I also replaced my alternator rotor and now my charging system is doing its job. I also can now actually use the electric start on the bike!

Hey guys...I'm happy. I ride my bike every day and I have all those mods on it and it runs great. I'm getting a few dollars for the PAMCO ignition, but I don't make a dime on the regulator and rectifier mods, but I'm just as happy knowing that you'all are getting more saddle time and not having to screw around with the electrics every Saturday instead of riding.

Ride. Enjoy. Life is simple.

kcfd.jpg

Last edited:
well maybe that explains why my bike will only electric start about 30% of the time then? cause all of the mechanical starting components are sound.. and i havent yet started through checking anything else.

Back