Bangers and mash

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What is it? Is the "mash" mashed potato's? And the "bangers"? Some kind of meat?
There is a new eating place locally that serves "english" food and I thought I might try it but don't want to go in totally ignorant.

What is it? Is the "mash" mashed potato's? And the "bangers"? Some kind of meat?
There is a new eating place locally that serves "english" food and I thought I might try it but don't want to go in totally ignorant.

Hi weekendrider,
bangers are sausages and mash is mashed potatoes.
The UK version usually comes with gravy over it.
I'd use oven-baked or pan-fried big fat bratwurst, potatoes whipped with butter & a little garlic, beefstock & onion gravy with a side of marrowfat peas.
Let us know what the local version is like?

Twomany, you got it BANG on!!!

THey are usually pork sausages, with loverly mash and an onion gravy with glazed onions strips in the gravy, and some peas on the side. Delicious!

I had some 'Bangers & mash' at an "English Pub" type restaurant in Cape Cod. It was served with baked beans instead of gravy. It has become a mandatory lunch item on my camping trips with friends. And easy easy easy to make. Be brave and try it. You'll be happy you did!

Airwolfie has it right,.....................Anything else is a poor deviation.............Mouthwatering....mmmmmmmmmmm..........mmmm

59Tebo, If that pub is calling that "bangers and mash" then ask them to make you a real one or half of the price for the crap beans............. Has to have gravy and has to have the onions.

I had some 'Bangers & mash' at an "English Pub" type restaurant in Cape Cod. It was served with baked beans instead of gravy. It has become a mandatory lunch item on my camping trips with friends. And easy easy easy to make. Be brave and try it. You'll be happy you did!

Hi Tebo,
yes, I do understand that around Cape Cod it's acceptable to substitute baked beans for any and every other food choice. Baked beans instead of strawberries on ice cream? Why not?
So baked beans instead of mushy peas as a side dish, fine. But baked beans atop the bangers instead of gravy? No effin' way!
And there's limits to what I'd try. Heinz beans ain't the only thing that comes in a can for camping trips. There's French's onion gravy too.

Well lunch was bangers and mash for me. The little bride had the chicken pot pie.
No peas period and they were out of gravy. That's what we get for eating lunch at 2 pm.
We will try some other items on the next go round. This is "heavy" food and filled us up.
All in all I'm glad we stopped.

GAAAHHHH!!! I've been had! Well that changes a few things right now! I'll adjust the ingredients so I'm making a more authentic 'bangers & mash' and save the baked beans for the next screening of "Blazing Saddles"!

Back