What have you done to your XS today?

Stripping paint and gunk! Trying to decide whether I'm going to have powder coated or polish and clear coat....
ecfd8f43fd0409417496bd0268608421_zps01vgnch6.jpg

Installed Tygon fuel lines with new filters. It took forever for me to find a route that was to my liking on the clutch side. But it's done. Polished the bike up a bit and rode 70 miles through the Hocking Hills. A perfect day! I was thinking of dropping down a tooth on the rear sprocket, but the stock gearing was perfect through the twisties. And 70-80 on the super slab, although high revs, was smooth and the bike didn't seem to mind.

Last edited:
Polished the bike up a bit and road 70 miles through the Hocking Hills. A perfect day!

When we were living in SC and coming back from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan we rode 555 from around Zanesville all the way south to West Virginia. Great road and lots of great photo opportunities. We had a perfect day, too!

Good times.

Wiped off the gunk from a wet sand salt on the road day, Buffed up the aluminum, gassed it, up put on a few miles at sunset while thinking about what to do to it before the Mountain View rally.

Hey all. An update on the progress of my bike. It's an 81 and I ended up replacing the wiring harness, from mike's xs, and put in a new stator. It is back up and running and charging, didn't charge when I bought it. Just a general question though. How can I increase the output of the backlights, they are very dim.

Thanks

Last edited:
My manifolds arrived Saturday and I mounted the PVK carbs. I have not mounted the Kawi throttle yet. Maybe I will finish next week-end. Carbs mounted perfect in the JB Industries manifolds. The Kawi throttle looks like a perfect fit. Cannot wait to fire it up. I will report back after I sort everything out. If they work as good or better than my Vm-34's I will be happy.

A few weeks ago I replaced the swing arm bushings in my wife's 78 Special. This weekend I removed and cleaned the exhaust, replaced the incorrect lower shock bushings with the correct ones, trimmed the chain guard so it clears the new Progressive shock and fixed the rear brake lever adjustment that was preventing the caliper piston from retracting. Buttoned it all back together with my friend in the little blue bottle and rode it for an hour.

My 78 Standard is getting a new tach drive seal and o-ring, oil filler gasket, powder coated chain guard, and cleaning. The next project for this bike is to strip and polish the wheels and hubs and install new spokes. Shiny!

Two oil changes and we are Officially Ready for Summer.

Well I'm happy to say I finally road my xs. Been about 3 years of owning but finally finished everything up enough to ride for the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20150426_110743.jpg
    IMG_20150426_110743.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 163
The float bowl was overfilling on my left carb pulled them apart, found the o rings for the seats where solid and cracked replaced them cleaned the carbs and got to ride most of the day

Nice seat Mosfet. Did you make that or purchase it? I like how it looks like a clean slimmed down stock seat.

Yesterday I cleaned, lubed and adjusted the drive chain. Adjusted the ignition timeing. Lubed the speedo cable and drive unit. Its way quieter and has more power. Speedo unit itself needs to be overhauled but that will happen in time.

My kickstarter seal was leaking badly so I drained the oil and pulled the right side cover. The seal was hard as a rock and I could see light past it when I put the kickstarter shaft in. One more leak found. The tach drive was seeping so a new o-ring and seal there also. The thrust washer was not in place but I found it in the bottom of the side cover. Wonder how long that's been like that?

The curious find was an extra washer on the kickstart shaft next to the cover. It was held in place by the oil on the inside of the cover. I looks just like the one behind the circlip next to the spring assembly. Obviously, I'm not the first one in here.

New filter, oil, gaskets, and crush washers everywhere to button it up. Ten minute ride shows no leaks.

A good day.

Last edited:
Back