Assemble 1976 headlight brackets to stantion

Andy1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Got a box of bits labelled XS650. it is 1976 and i am in the process of putting it together before i decide what to do with it finally. So the problem i have got at the moment is how to assemble all the spacers and rubbers in the correct order on the fork leg which go above and below the headlamp barcket.

- welcome
- take a look here ...on the left is a link to 'XS/TX 650 Manuals'...follow this and pick your parts manual, there will be a break down for you to follow

Thanks but i am still struggling to make sense of it. I have parts catalogue and the pictures are too small and the part name does not clarify things either.

Hope pictures might help someone to explain? (sorry not the best photos)

Picture014.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture010.jpg

It appears you have some mismatched parts so things may not fit up as they should. Your headlight ear appears to be from a newer model, a Special, and all the rings may be '76 stuff. The '76 used smaller diameter 34mm fork tubes so the rings may not fit the later fork ear quite right if it's diameter is larger.

In the parts list you can magnify them by pushing the + button.
In your bottom pic the item on the lower right goes on first. Then In your middle pic the ring in front of the rubber ring. The headlight ear. The ring behind the rubber ring, lip down. The rubber ring. Then the last ring on top so it covers the rubber ring. The top tree holds these all together and presses down to compress the rubber ring to keep the parts from rattling.
If you have extra rubber rings put one under the ear.

5twins & xsleo, thanks.

It seems i have a few bikes bits mixed up. That reply also answers the problem i was going to ask next? The indicators threaded portion is not long enough to reach through the into the headlamp enough to fit a nut on. So now i need to track down a pr of headlamp mounting brackets.

Cheers until next, i think i going to need much help on this project.:banghead:

Thats one problem with most aftermarket lights, they don't fit in the stock position.

Back