Starting motor shaft removing

I have removed a few of them, and yes they are tight!!
The best way i have found to remove them is to weld a piece of bar onto the end
and use it as a lever (let it cool so the shaft is not expanded), and gently heat the crankcase in that area. with a bit of muscle it should wriggle out.

8c474876.jpg

86ee3f86.jpg

Pierrax, in the diagram you linked you can remove #'s 1-9, 15-22 and 26 without problems. To remove 10-14 you leave 12 just rattling around inside the case. To remove 12 you need to split the cases.
I would just leave 10-12 inplace. And the part to the right of #1
That bit of weight won't make any difference.
Leo

Last edited:
I was wondering about this shaft. Forgot what it was really for since i torn my motor apart in Feb.
I was cleaning the cases last night getting ready for assembly and it seems like some debris can get in behind this shaft. There are a couple slots in behind the housing for stuff to get in there like in my case crushed glass when i blasted the cases.
So it is O.K to remove this shaft? I'm paranoid when it comes to cleaning.

The shaft in the pic that gets a bar welded to it to remove? Leave it in place. nothing can get behind it.
The cross shaft that holds the gear in place you can remove, but you need to put it and the gear back if you want to use the electric starter. The screw and clip that holds it in place too.
Leo

I'm pretty sure crap CAN get in behind the shaft in question, not under the shoulder but in the back inside next to the crank. The back side of the shaft is hollow and there is a hole at the back of the bit where it sits. When I have removed these I find shit in there, so if cases have been need blasted then a good clean is essential.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the question - if you take it out do you have to put it back in?

I'd strongly suggest to anyone looking at this to leave the bendix shaft (that's what I call it as it carries the bendix gear) in the engine case.

When I tore my engine apart, I naively tried to remove this as I was stripping the cases down for bead blasting. Thought removing the little tapered screw would allow me to simply pull it out. It seems to be a press fit and is not designed to be removed under 'normal' circumstances. If you had to do it, I'd think heating up the entire case in an oven to a few hundred degrees would expand the aluminum more than the steel shaft and make it easier, but I'd be replacing the cases first.

Leave it in. It weighs a few ounces and there's no other benefit to removing it.

Back