Mikuni VM34s - intermittent stalling when warm

MB-Ian

Melbourne, Australia
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

With the tick-over set to 1100-1200 on my 750/rephase the bike has a nice idle but then for no reason will stall. Press the starter and it fires right up again, then 30-40 seconds later the same thing happens. I've contemplated lifting the tick over speed to 1500-1600 but then the idle sound is smoother and well, less grumpy sounding... the grumpy sound being how i prefer it.

I've read the mikuni manual i was referred to in the other thread, and just wanted some real world thoughts and experiences from people who use these carbs, to get them to idle do we work back and forth between the idle and air screws to obtain the required idle speed or something else?

At the moment at the lights i just blip the throttle every 20-30 seconds but still miss the stall on occasion and starting the bike 6 or more times during a journey takes a toll on the battery, I've needed to give it a trickle charge on a few occasions as I haven't trusted it to recharge properly during the journey. Ignition is Pamco btw.

I.

After you get the motor warmed up go back and re-adjust the air mixture to the pilot jet and make sure both slides are adjusted equally and at the cable ends. What size pilots are you running and how do you like the rephased motor?

Thanks Jack I'll look into all this on the weekend.

I love the rephased motor (mines 277 degrees) at 60mph its as smooth as my V8 car, but has a great idle that has everyone looking "where's the V-twin?". I haven't ever owned or ridden a standard 360degree XS with 650CC bore and standard carbs but the PO was full of superlatives about how much nicer my bike is to ride than a standard XS.

I.

Back