Mount a Motorcycle Tire Without Using Tools

Getting them on isn't usually the hard part.. It's getting them off that can be a pain in the ass!

Cool method though.. Like having extra hands to hold the beads together... wonder if it's bad for the tire?

- goop type products were originally designed for use in bicycle tyres
- makes changing/repairing tyres messy
- many of these products are alu corrosive
- not intended for speeds in excess of 60 mph-100 kmh
- not particularly thermally stable...less viscous at higher temps, so, ride-heats up-flows-park-settles to bottom-cools-oops, there goes your tyre/wheel balance
- claimed to eliminate 85-95% of punctures in tubeless tyres up to 1/4"..6mm(1/8”..4mm for tubed tyres) that penetrate the contact area of your tyre...so, no sidewall or shoulder protection
- only 55-65% efficiency in tubed tyres due to tube tearing-(supposed to be inside the tube)

- i have no problem using such products off-road where wheel balance isnt such an issue and help isnt so close but not for ripping down the autobahn or canyoning
- i have heard some good things about a product called 'Ride-On'...not a recommendation...i recommend regular tyre checks and replacement...tyre contact area is your reality

Resurrecting an old thread . . . Came across it at the bottom of the page where it says "Similar Threads . . . "

Anyway, this method of tire installation -- provided you're running tubeless tires, it appears -- looks like a cool way to get the job done. But it was mentioned that often the hard part is getting the old tire off. Been there. Trying to pry a 20-year-old tire off a rim can be a real challenge and can leave serious marks even when using the proper tire tools. I gave up when I tried to get the ancient tires of my 78's spoked wheels, and took them down to a tire shop down the street from me that has the machines which will handle motorcycle tires/wheels.

So what did the tire guy do? Instead of using his machine to remove the tire intact, he took a box cutter and cut all the way around the circumference of the tire into and through the sidewall on both sides. When he was done, the tire was separated into three pieces -- the tread section, and two narrow bands with the beads still on the wheel. But since all the tire carcass was gone, and just these bands were left, they were dead easy to pry off the rim, even though the beads were still intact. Took him about five minutes per tire. I stood there, mouth agape, realizing I'd never have need of a tire shop to remove an old recalcitrant motorcycle tire ever again.

i used the garbage bag mounting method for mine.

for removal i cut my old ones off using my dremel. just make sure to protect the rim when cutting

Last edited:
i lubed mine whit dishwash soap, then stand on it to put the first side on, then put in the innertube, then put most of the second side on by hand and put my knees on it.
to get the last part on i persuede it whit a rubber hammer.
worked well and easy.

Tube tires are much easier to work with. I've had to chop off radial tires, and those metal wires are tough.

Back