standard model-year id

rocket

rocket
Reaction score
hi everybody,hoping to get some help decoding 9 digit vin, barn find in Ontario a few weeks ago, no paperwork. Real nice shape great runner, paint, chrome, seat all exc. I'm a happy guy.

Attachments

• montreal 044.jpg
    montreal 044.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 301
thanks for your help, 77 was what I was thinking, but a few small details threw me off. I think this one was in a minor "mishap" I think the speedo and tail light have been changed, good thing i'm not doing a concours correct resto. I got that # from the steering head and it does not match the engine #, thanks again, great idea this site, will visit often.

There are a few other things that I noticed that don't look stock from your photo. That is why I asked about the numbers on the frame and engine. I believe the wheels on the 1977 XS650D were aluminum and yours look to be chromed steel. The exhaust and seat are not stock and the paint job isn't original. I'm wondering if someone took two bikes, one running, and one with a title, and put them together to make one bike. What are the numbers for the engine? Maybe that will help explain a few things.

you are right about the wheels, chromed steel.after market pipes are good quality but I'll have to rework the mounting, strange tales these old bikes tell sometimes, a lot of owner involvment on this one, some good........ anyway, engine # is 447-901, thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Well that frame should also be a '77. Unless I'm missing something.

Maybe you have a bunch of parts coming together to make your bike. I've heard of people swapping wheels because they need new tires so they just find a set of wheels with good tires already on them. I guess if you get them cheap enough that's not a bad idea.

On my 77 the front foot peg brackets are black not silver. My tail light is round but from the picture yours looks square? The oem stock turn signals mount to the bolt at the top of the fender below the seat, not the plate bracket.Here's the stock look...well at least before I fixed the droopy signals.
index.php

You might have some parts from a parts bike in there but that's ok. :thumbsup:
Stock wheel.
IMG_0011-1.jpg

- motor is probably a 78 SE...2M1 from Canada and 3M1 from the states, you wont however have these codes without the original frame

XS650D 1T3 447-700101 1977 US
XS650SE 2M1 447-900101 1978 Canada and Others

On the charts i have found

XS650SE 2M1 447-900101 1978

hay i got a 9 digit vin from a bike i just got but the owner not sur eof the year and no tilte ether just gonna restore this one but would like to know the year 447-912205

rikkibobbi that is my little 2006 EX250 Ninja I got from a guy who rode it 10 miles and fell over and separated his shoulder. He was off six weeks from work and his wife said no more. I bought it well and rode it 6000 miles and sold it for what I paid for it. It was a fun bike. 75 mpg was it's best and would do 100 mph.

Sick xs- according to the chart here. The serial falls in the 77 model year as the 78s don't start with 447
XS650D 1T3 447-700101 1977 Maxi Maroon, Bountiful Blue
XS650E 2F0 2F0-000101 1978 Star Black*, Spruce Metallic Green
http://biker.net/
Look left for the XS650 manuals.

You might see how hard it is to get a title where you are before dropping lots of $$$ into that bike with no title. I've heard horror stories.

Back