300 miles on rebuilt engine...now what

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
well I just hit about 300 miles on my rebuilt 650. so far I have a slight leak coming from the left cover. all seals were replaced. the clutch pushrod does have some play from the bushing... will this cause a nasty leak?

the chrome nuts on the bottom of the engine, are these blind holes or can they leak oil?

I have an EZ-PULL clutch cable from 650 central, there is too much slack in the cable and I can't get it set correctly, is there a fix for this ?

I need to re-torque the head.... is everyone going to 30ft lbs for the larger nuts?

my bike is a 75 so it has 2 throttle cables.. I'm finding it very dificult to sync them,, any tips out there.

any other advice for a fresh rebuild would be great... I did NOT split the cases. I went to a 2nd O/S piston and that's it.

the easy thing to do for the oil leak would be to pull that cover off....clean all the oil residue off and fire it up and watch for leaks. Probably should of replaced the bushing when you did the clutch rod seal.

Clutch Cable: a friend of mine got one. I was not impressed. We tried 6 different ways of setting it, and even replaced the actuator. Still no love. I believe the cable length is too long for the sleeve length. Put in a Mike's XS one, worked mint.

And, IMHO, that "friction creating metal elbow" is kind of important, if you want to put the cable where it's supposed to go - beside the backbone.

Torque: Yep. 30lbs.

well I have a mikes cable as well. I just read the horror stories of the cable breaking, so I went to the 650 central one.

Back