My rebuild...Stay tuned!

cheftay

Keepin' it real
Reaction score
I started this thread on 650rider but now that I'm here I'll lay out the progress of my rebuild again!

I started a couple weeks ago by just taking the engine out of the frame:
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

After I got that taken care of I took a week and a half break and then finished( almost) stripping down the frame to prepare it for a new powder coat:
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

I've been talking to several places about getting the frame powder coated so I'll probably take care of that in the next week or two. I'll probably powder coat the tension bar as well.
Once I get that finished I'm going to soda blast my engine and get it looking like a trophy. Then I'm going to take the head off and see how my valves are doing and check on the other stuff, advance unit, cams, etc (that stuff i really don't know very much about...)

That's it for now.

Please give me your opinions, suggestions, prayers, etc.
I'm gonna need them all! :)

Thanks!

.cheftay

make a list and we will add to it. There are small things like enlarging the breather hole.
TC Bros has a good deal on the bronze bushings.

Bigpup, I installed the bronze swing arm bushings about three months ago, so I can check that one off the list!

Bloodhound, what do you mean by enlarging the breather hole?
Crash, I'm gonna have the powder coat be a glossy black and then I'm gonna have the tank and covers re-painted the same color as they are just a lot richer looking

Here's a rough list of what i'm planning on doing:
- tapered steering bearings
- have the tank, side covers, shocks, and front end professionally painted( same color just a lot more rich looking)
- buy new tires
- tune the rims
- Replace the breaker shaft bearing/bushing on the camshaft.( i have the part so i might as well replace it while the engine is out)
- Check valves( I don't know anything about the valves yet so this step might be more intense by the time i get there)

Does that list sound pretty decent?

Thanks!
.cheftay

http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSbreather.html

more for your list.
One piece clutch push rod.

You will need a spring compressor tool for the valves. Poor gas in the intake and exhaust holes. If they leak they need checked. It is really easy to work on the valves. Check to see if they are bent. You will know if they are hard to slide out. I would check the clutch plates and while it is apart and add the new thrust bearing mikesxs sells.

Now the most important check the bottom oil filter for holes, the clutch side filter, cam chain guide and cam chain.

I would get a new ignition like the pamco if you can afford it.

- im not so sure about enlarging the breathers-your model already has the double breather outlet with restrictor plugs, these were changed in 1980 to a smaller single outlet, ie reduced not enlarged...drilling these out will allow increased passage for crankcase oil mist, increasing oil use

- youre only going to get troublesome positive crankcase pressure if there are other unresolved issues such as worn cylinders and rings or you have built a high performance motor

- a better solution would be to install a brake booster check valve in each line-this helps create negative crankcase pressure and serves to restrict leaking oil seals

This is what i'm hoping the pieces will look like once i'm done with them: http://www.1971xs1b.com/images/paintedparts.jpg

I've thought about the one piece clutch push rod before but I never got around to ordering it from mikesxs but I'll guess I can add that to my list for my next order.
I couple other things that i've done are replace the clutch springs and I checked all the plates and they all look fine. I also drilled the end of my clutch pushrod so that it doesn't slide around on the ball bearing.
I do have the pamco ignition with the big green coil from mikes also.

Another thing for my list is the Heiden performance oil filter/cooler from mikes. I ordered it a month or so ago and it's sitting in my barn.

inxs, you're right about my breathers and i've seen the brake booster that mikesxs sells but someone told me a while back that I can get the part form any auto store for like 3 dollars... but i've never seen them there. Is this what you're talking about?

-Its crazy all the things I forgot to mention earlier! :shrug:

Thanks!

.cheftay

oh and bloodhound, I'll look into the new thrust bearing on mikes... I haven't seen that before.

Should I bother getting the full sized threaded swing arm pivot bolt/shaft while i'm at it?

- yes, from any auto parts shop or brake shop-dont get the crankcase valve as they can work both ways...the 1 piece clutch rod is a worthy inclusion-helps save seal wear, newer thrust bearing too

cheftay, like in xs stated, any good part's store will have them. They are usually in the help! section, where they have packaged up all kind's of thing's from door panel pin's to pedal pads, window crank's ect.

Hello my friend :thumbsup: It's looking good. You know I still have those pegs for you. I have my old pivot shaft and pivot tube if you want them. They're not new but newer than yours. Did you do the clutch rod seal thing? I bought the "chamfering tool' to round the hole's edges. If you need it...and don't break your leg out there snow boarding!:yikes:

Hey John! Good to hear from you again!
I'll give you a shout as soon as i'm back and I can come look at those pegs.

I've replaced the pushrod seal a couple moths ago... i'm not sure what you mean though.

So far no broken legs :rock:

Back