Advice on buying an air compressor

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am in the market for an air compressor. Nothing extreme but I would like to be able to use a die grinder and an HVLP paint gun. It will get the most work out of painting but I would like to be able to grind/cut stuff with it.

I am a complete compressor newb. What should I look for? What CFM ratings do I need?

My budget is under $500.

Thanks for the help guys!

Campbell Hausfeld VT6275 60-Gallon Oil-Lubricated Vertical Air Compressor

you really need someting liks this or not to much smaller.
you can use it for almost anything

Have that exact compressor, painted my bike and a car! Really works great! Make sure you have a great water separation/absorption system! Got it at lowes for $360(military discount).

take a look at the recommended air specifications for your desired HVLP spray gun and that'll give a good idea of what you should buy. 6 cfm at 90 psi or so should work for about anything the average garage mechanic is gonna use. don't buy one of the oil-free kind, they're so fucking loud and don't last as long as they oil lubricated types.

Last edited:
Gonna be hard finding one to keep up with a die grinder for that price unless it's intermittent use. Might want to do that with an electric tool.

well what is it grinder or paint?
air grinders don't work for heavy or even med. stuff. what can blow that much air?

i know i dated her too

I just got this, havent wired it in yet though. 499 from home depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202053055&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202053055&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202053055&locStoreNum=1505
fa87c785-afc7-4fb8-8077-6cac9f0fec28_300.jpg

I have painted whole cars with a craftsman 30 gallon single cylinder oilless compressor. Where there is a will, there is a way. This new compressor, should make life lots easier though.

i,d go for a 50lt. v twin 240 as i,m in australia .. but similar in usa .. you should get it alot cheaper than 500 bucks ...regards oldbiker

I have no idea what these cost, but they will probably be just about the best new, small compressor you will find that isn't a pure industrial unit.

http://www.emglocompressor.com/

Those K and KU pumps are very well built.

You have to consider the motors as well. Lots of hardware store units use motors that are just crap.

MacMcMacmac
Thanks for that link, they look the same as my old one the neighbors gave me, but for sure mine is way old. I have been using it for years. It pumps up really slow these days maybe a rebuild for the pump is possible.
mine is green not blue.:thumbsup:

Mrriggs, Good stuff.. but I don't understand why he concludes his compressor puts out 6.6 CFM (at 85 psig), when the test was done from 85 to 102 psi.. Shouldn't it be 6.6CFM at like 93.5 psig?

I think I'm going to try this on my two compressors.

Back