Picked up 83 XS650 Heritage Special

rpgoerlich

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used to have a 72 XS650 back in '79. Been running XS11's for the past 4 years.
Found this 83 through a collector friend. 15.8k on it, been sitting a couple years, ran a year ago, shift shaft/clutch push rod leak, in pretty good shape. Started right up and idled great. Loses power at 5krpm. Have replaced plugs, cleaned & checked caps, cut back plug wire. Replaced Battery. Need to replace fuseblock.

Pulled the carbs and cleaned them last night, diaphragms look good, carbs/jets/emulsion tubes were clean, Plastic floats set at 23.25 to the top of the tang flat, 20.8 to the top of the plastic. Plugs show it running really rich. Read lotsa info on the float height. Looks like it should be 22 +-1mm on the plastic float.

PO cut out the baffle plate with a chisel. Other than a small tear in the seat, 1 missing mirror, missing LH lower cover and needing tires it's in pretty good shape.

Richard

83_XS650_Heritage_Special.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

If you didn't, remove the float valve seats, the orings that seal them to the carb bodies get hard and allow fuel to leak AROUND the float valve. Very common on BS34's I have opened.

Welcome to the board Richard. It's a small world, I recognize your name from XS11.com and XJbikes. I also have an '83 Heritage Special I picked up for $500 a few years ago. I sold it to my buddy last summer, and promptly began to kick myself. Luckily, it was an impulse buy for him, so I bought it back in the fall. Good luck with the bike. It looks like about the same condition as mine when I bought it. Just got a Mike's XS sport/cafe seat for it and some other bits and bobs. Funny though, it looks like all the Heritage Specials in the US got the spoke wheels, while we got the mags up here in Canada.

I love those "disco spokes" Really I do, I have one set and would get another in a heartbeat. Finding em without rust now there's a challenge. MacMcMacmac; I didn't know the Canucklian Heritage specials came with mags??

Hard to argue with the factory lit! Thanks mic mac. You may have given the answer to why I have seen Heritage Specials with mags. I mean; wheel swaps happen, especially the front (wink). but a few may have slipped down from the Great White North also.

Ok, I guess they did things a bit different for different countries. Like the Austrailian bikes had points past 79. The European bikes got dual disc brakes and the 533 engine.

Back