The best thing you ever read.

I think my first exposure to Twain was with the old Classics Illustrated comic books, or was it some Disney stuff back in the 50's? Anyway, it wasn't untill the 80's that I found a worn hardback copy of 'Roughing It' laying in an alley mudpuddle not far from our workshop in Ocean City N.J. That find opened Twain back up to me and since then I've picked up a lot of his writings. He needs to be read with maturity for the full affect. His short stories in 'Roughing It' are hilarious!

While on the topic of Twain, I think it is really sad what they want to do, or are doing to modify the book Huckelberry Finn.
I think it is the history of how things were that need not be altered. It was what it was, not what some people think should be twisted to appear different than they were. Are we going to have "Native American Joe"?

I agree with nj, he needs to be read with maturity. Seems some people don't feel that way. Mark (Samuel) had a great and humorous perspective of things, that's for sure!

Yes, Huck is a great piece of Literature, and I hate to see it made politically correct. almost as bad as re-making True Grit!:( I have been privileged to sit at Mark Twain's desk and could feel His presence.

Of course that recent news item was the thing that prompted me to look it up, and is he source of the Hemingway statement. I don't mind replacing a word with another if it makes it easier to teach it. I wouldn't want to see a child be hurt because it was too young to put it in context, if that's ever possible really. Also, I'd like to know what the actual connotations of the word was in Twain's time. But I do know it's currently taught as it is in AP lit classes. Maybe the best solution is to bring all the pupils up to AP level, and then teach it!

Twain has some great insights, and I especially like Huck's discussion with himself over helping Jim. The wild coincidences in it are great too; not unbelievable really. And Tom's impractical shenanigans to free Jim which drive you crazy! They set up Twain to put a spin on the end rather than just letting it play out as it would if it was up to Huck.

I downloaded "Roughing It" earlier today and am looking forward to trying it. "Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc" looks interesting too. For another book of funny short stories I'd recommend "The Thurber Carnival".

I read a lot!!! A whole lot!!! Twain is one of my favorites. There is actually some of his work coming out, unpublished work, that he told publishers to hold until 100 years after his death. No shit!!
If you want to see how diverse Twain was read, "Letters from Earth". This is not a book of adolescent adventures or frogs full of shot. It is quite dark.
It is something Twain enthusiasts should definitely read. It's a must in my opinion.

The Book of 5 Rings
-is Mushashi's book on swordmanship and spiritual enlightenment. From my point of view as a sport psychologist the books first chapter was likely the first written bit of sport psychology. More than 1600 years ahead of its time.

The middle portion is about technique

The final section is about enlightenment and the concept that the greatest achievement a martial artist can reach is not having to use martial arts. The way of nothing.

Last edited:
I googled that to see what it was about, and it looks like one of those ancient Asian books of strategy. That means one of two things; it's either about how to master violence, which makes it at best about transition rather than transcendence, or else it Machiavellian which makes it something like a nightmare. Just my wild guess about what it's about and my book report on it :))) It's allowed for you to elaborate on the book...

I googled that to see what it was about, and it looks like one of those ancient Asian books of strategy. That means one of two things; it's either about how to master violence, which makes it at best about transition rather than transcendence, or else it Machiavellian which makes it something like a nightmare. Just my wild guess about what it's about and my book report on it :))) It's allowed for you to elaborate on the book...

Actually books like the "Book of Five Rings" or "The Art of War" have less to do with mastering violence and more to do with mastering yourself and leading others. Both of these books suggest that that the greatest martial artist is one who can figure out how not to fight at all. Keep in mind that both tech defensive and offensive strategies but those were a necessity for all classes of people at that time when Japan was in a period of 400+ years of war and China in a period of 600+ years of war.

Today the Art of War is most utilized by Business men. While Mushashi's is more used to reach enlightenment and self-actualization.

Me, I just use them to improve myself and improve others in their athletic performances.

I'm reading The Stories Of Flying Officer X, by H. E. Bates at the mo.
A fantastic collection of "heroic stories of the exploits of British pilots during the second world war".

A series of short stories told from the first & second person. First released in 1942, still stands up today as a quality read. Well worth a look if you can get your hands on a copy!

I'm an avid reader as well. I recently picked up H. P. Lovecraft and enjoy his stories greatly. One of my favorite books ever is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Its not for everyone, but I think its rad!

i love just about anything by Hemingway or Twain. I ride with a few buddies to Hannibal every year to tour Twain's boyhood home and all of the other tourist traps but mainly just for the great ride.

A couple of days ago I read Twain's "Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc" that was mentioned earlier. That's got to be the best thing I ever read. Totally engrossing. It even got me reading the trial transcripts, and other biographies of her. It's an accurate biography but fleshed out, and written from the point of view of a fictional narrator who spent their life with her. I read the last half in a 30 hr marathon session. Lots of breaks and plodding along but no sleep.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Gn...&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

You'll love it if you like history, heroic adventure, Twain, assertive women :), mysticism, Catholicism, or St. Joan herself. Everybody's a fan of at least one of those.

One interesting part of the book is near the beginning where he talks about the "fairy tree" or "ladies tree." At her historical trial they question her about that tree from her childhood briefly to try and trip her up into sounding superstitious or heretical, but Twain takes that mention of the tree and expands it into a great story taking place in her childhood. A story which foreshadows a lot which is to come, Joan as a child being wiser than the local priest while still showing respect, and being able to think and speak on her feet, and then the priest having to show regret for his actions eventually.

I read an online pdf of it, but today found it at a nearby used book store so I can gift it to somebody.

Last edited:
My father-in-law is an author and editor, so he reads all day. His personal library is crazy and he's a biker. Can't judge a book... Anyway, he told me the other day that the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has authorized a british author to write a new Sherlock Holmes book. I love to read Holmes and mysteries in general. It's been quite a long time since a new Holmes was published.

Back