78 XS650 Coils

When you change the points gap, that changes the timing. You said you sanded the points so that probably altered their gap, changing the timing along with it. The timing probably wasn't set exactly right to begin with - now it's even worse.

I did one stroke of sand paper to each point, but soon as I did I got spark. Checking timing this weekend and resetting the points gap to see where it stands. Yeah I did probally make it worse. Trail and error is how you learn right?

I'm not faulting what you did, just explaining what happened when you did it. Many aren't aware that when you change the point gap, you change the timing. That's why you gap points first, then set timing. Used points many times have pits in them so they need to be sanded or filed. Gapping used points with pits can only be done accurately using a dwell meter. The spark jumps between the pits and you can't measure that distance with a feeler gauge. The gap you set actually ends up being bigger. For this reason, used pitted points are best set to the lower side of the spec.

Rode it last in Dec, which one, a few monthes ago or a few years ago, or Dec 1980?
Leo

I'm not faulting what you did, just explaining what happened when you did it. Many aren't aware that when you change the point gap, you change the timing. That's why you gap points first, then set timing. Used points many times have pits in them so they need to be sanded or filed. Gapping used points with pits can only be done accurately using a dwell meter. The spark jumps between the pits and you can't measure that distance with a feeler gauge. The gap you set actually ends up being bigger. For this reason, used pitted points are best set to the lower side of the spec.

No biggie,Very helpful information 5twins!
PO said Dec. of 2011 was the last time he gave it a spin

Back