Ridability question

Member267

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks,
A few days ago, I saw a guy riding down the highway on a hardtailed sportster. He hit a couple of bumps that almost jarred me off the seat of my pick-up. The poor guy's butt came off the seat and his feet went behind him and all the other drivers and I kinda slowed to a stop and watched this guy wobble and zig-zag off the side of the road into the bushes. He wasn't hurt, just embarrassed and pissed off.

My question .......... is a hardtailed bike really that hard to ride on bumpy/potholed roads ?

Kinda scary from what I saw:(

Thanks for your time

John

I ride several hardtails ( not at one time of course ) from the days when they were all there was. The trick is proper tire and air pressure selection. It doesn't hurt to have a young as yet un-injured back ! Hard tails look cool but at a price.
John

Yes indeed. If you think that guy was having issues with bumps in a straight line, think about hitting a bump heeled over and what happens when the tire loses contact with the pavement because there's no suspension to keep it hooked up.

- i like the look of hard tails but after giving myself a scare back in the late 70's going around an off-cambered corrugated corner on one ive never riden one again...im sure my back and kidneys have given me eternal gratitude

Yes, yes. I guess I'm glad to be 25... Old enough to know better, still too young to care... :bike:

Hardtails are not the easiest riding... I wouldn't say that every bump and pothole you hit will leave you like that guy though. Just be aware of your surroundings and know your limitations. Best answer I could probably give.

Last edited:
Thank You for the answers. I was thinking of having my 75's frame hardtailed, I have changed my mind. I am in my mid 50s, don't take impacts like I used to. Hell, I don't take anything like I used to !!

Back to the important question ............ red or white wine with Chicken Hot Dogs ??

Thanks

john

Back to the important question ............ red or white wine with Chicken Hot Dogs ??

Thanks

john

And of course the answer to that question (like the answer to so many other questions) is beer!
To quote one of the genius' of our generation, Homer J Simpson "beer makes you feel like you should feel when your not drinking beer!"

And of course the answer to that question (like the answer to so many other questions) is beer!
To quote one of the genius' of our generation, Homer J Simpson "beer makes you feel like you should feel when your not drinking beer!"

Oh the modern day Confucius - Homer. I just wish he would broaden his horizons and drink scotch. I think once he did he would like it much more.

Thank You for the answers. I was thinking of having my 75's frame hardtailed, I have changed my mind. I am in my mid 50s, don't take impacts like I used to. Hell, I don't take anything like I used to !!

Thanks

john

John if you don't think you could take the constant beating from the road then yeah I would definitely not advise the hardtail. It is undoubtedly rougher.

No such thing as a smooth road over here..Im dreading whats going to happen to my arse & kidneys when my hardtail hits the road at last..Last time I rode one mustve been 25 years ago .. makes me wince to think of the pummeling my ringpiece got on the lanes round ny way:yikes:

What? I was shocked at how nice the roads were in the uk, when I was there in nov. Heck, the cobbles were smoother than half the highways around here....

Has anyone ever done a monoshock to get the quasi-look of a hardtale, such as the Viragos have?

Has anyone ever done a monoshock to get the quasi-look of a hardtale, such as the Viragos have?

Not sure if this is a Quasi-look hard tail but is one beautiful build Whitetexk

Wouldn't be hard to make the rear to look hardtailish :D

Last edited:
The Harley I built last year was a hardtail, the one I built the year before was a softail. And truth be told, the hardtail rides nicer for me. Now I am comparing apples and oranges here. The softy was "short" in terms of choppers, it was about 8 foot long from tip of front wheel to tip of rear wheel, it also ran a 260/40 tire on a spoked wheel. The hardtail is over 9 foot long, has +12, 65mm USD front end, is running a 300/35 rear tire on a billet wheel. The hardtail also has a single, radiused downtube and no rear seat post section, while the orange one is the typical wishbone style of frame. On a long trip I put over 400 miles on, in a day, on both of them and the hardtail rode smoother over some pretty ruff roads. Thats not to say that some of the bumps don't send some jarring motion, but my softail was worse. In fact, my ole lady (shes 25, I'm 29) actually like my rigid. My seat is solid mounted to the frame and her seat is suction cupped to rear fender which is also solid mount.

Attachments

• DSCN0711.jpg
    DSCN0711.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 234
My hardtail rides pretty smooth compared to the iron head hardtail I used to have. That one had a springer front end and rode very rough... I felt every little bump in the road.
My XS has the stock front end and I think it makes a big difference. I do get "air" going over railroad tracks etc. if I'm going too fast though.

Back