Anyone swap mag wheels for spoked wheels

jbgore

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son and I are looking at a special that, of course, has the mag wheels. We are interested in building a bobber but would prefer spoked wheels. Do people have much interest in the mag wheels or show interest in trading their spoked wheels for mag wheels? We're just trying to work within our budget and don't know how much we'd need to spend to get spoked wheels unless we could swap them with someone. I'm sure we could post them in the classified section, just didn't know if there was much interest in the mags.
Thanks for the help.

Most people so far want spokes instead of mags, the good news is that spokes are getting cheaper to buy with the increasing popularity and availability of parts bikes nowadays. The only mag wheel that is even barely desirable is the rear drum brake mag, I had one that took months to unload at $20.

Yep, mags seem to go for $20, and spokes will get $50-100 depending on rim style and condition. Even the hubs are getting hard to find.

I got a 79 that came with mag wheels. of course I wanted spokes so I hunted ebay everyday and found some good deals but finally got a set from a member here. When thinking about cost remember your going to need a brake hub that may or may not be included with the rear wheel.

JB what year is your 650? Some of the mags had a disc brake which makes putting spokes on a bit more of a swap. None of the spoke wheels used a disc brake.

anyone know if the mag drums and spoke drums are interchangeable? I would like to be able to swap between the two.

The front wheel from 74 up are an almost straight up swap.
From 74 to 76 they used a two piston caliper. On the 77 and later they used a single piston caliper. The offset of the disc is different. .02 of an inch.
The bolt pattern of the disc is the same, just the offset is different.
Easy to tell which is witch. The early disc was a two piece, a hub and a bolt on disc, the later were all one piece.
As long as you use the right disc with the right caliper, it works fine.

Back