Rear brake drum to disc conversion?

Bonez

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a 80' special, and want to convert it from a spoke hub drum to a spoke hub disc. Is this even possible? Is there any type of conversion, or any year that has this standard? I know the mag wheels have the disc setup, but want the spoke look for this build. Its got a disc front so I'm trying to match the rear as well.

The thread is a few pages down, called rear disc and spokes, on Oct 7. Didn't seem to go anywhere though. Omars makes a kit someone said. Uses a front wheel? You building a hardtail?

Tech7 - Thanks for the info!

I'll take a look at it, but yeah its a hardtail. Not sure if a larger rim wheel in the rear will look right?

Kawasaki KZ's and Z1's from the late 70's into the 80's used a spoked disc brake on the rear. Not easy to find. I've been shopping for a couple years and haven't gotten one.
They also have a cush drive hub. This will absorb more of the shock from clutch engagement and save a bit on the springs in the ckutch hub.

Well, there ya go! Solutions. I think I like the idea of the steel sprocket better though. Having gone through many alloy sprockets on dirtbikes!

Pre-1999 Harleys have 3/4" axles with Timken bearings.
Newer Harleys have a 1" axle with sealed bearings.
Not 100% sure what year switched to 1", but pre-'99 is 3/4".

Back